Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thinking about swapping bulbs over for led replacement anyone know what bulbs I need before stripping out the speedo to find out?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
More to do with the dials themselves than the leds,pretty sure all the leds are white, it's the dials that filter the colour.
There are aftermarket dials available in different colours but have never seen them in the flesh to say how good they are.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
They're red because the light wavelength doesn't affect night vision. (Eye fatigue is also a factor in their design) Something to do with the rods cones in your eyes. Messing with it will very definitely invalidate your insurance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
There was an Italian person I discovered that would change the LED's for you. The end result looked pretty good but it meant sending away your speedo cluster to Italy and waiting for the work to be done and sent back to you.
Search on the Italian EBAY, that's where I spotted the service listed last year.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Perfect Ed ok so anyway to make the digits white and leave the needles red?
As long as you can solder, just do it yourself, I changed mine from white to red using red LEDs from a scrapped 147, was a bit fiddly but pretty easy really.

They're red because the light wavelength doesn't affect night vision. (Eye fatigue is also a factor in their design) Something to do with the rods cones in your eyes. Messing with it will very definitely invalidate your insurance.
Lol, the reason theyre red is NOTHING to do with red being better for the eyes at night (although youre right about red being better), theyre red cos thats the way Alfa decided to do it on that trim level, some are red and some are white. Unless of course youre suggesting that Alfa decided that the drivers of later 147s and GTs with white LEDs should suffer increased night time fatigue of their eyes for some reason ?

In NO WAY will changing them affect his insurance.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I'm going to remove the speedo and have a look for myself all I want to do is keep everything as it is but just try to make the digits show in white with red needles

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
So I'm going to remove the speedo and have a look for myself all I want to do is keep everything as it is but just try to make the digits show in white with red needles
I may doing it again with another car soon, I can send you the LEDs I remove if you want.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah if you could please.. What are you doing just replacing blown bulbs?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I need to find out is how the LED's are laid out if it's a individual LED per needle hopefully it just means replacement bulbs accordingly to suit my needs

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Don't think you will. Colour of digits comes from the speedo internals not the leds/bulbs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As long as you can solder, just do it yourself, I changed mine from white to red using red LEDs from a scrapped 147, was a bit fiddly but pretty easy really.

Lol, the reason theyre red is NOTHING to do with red being better for the eyes at night (although youre right about red being better), theyre red cos thats the way Alfa decided to do it on that trim level, some are red and some are white. Unless of course youre suggesting that Alfa decided that the drivers of later 147s and GTs with white LEDs should suffer increased night time fatigue of their eyes for some reason ?

In NO WAY will changing them affect his insurance.
To be fair changing anything from the manufacturers original specification i.e. how it came from the factory, is classed as a modification and you should tell your insurance company about it.

That includes stickers and badges, different head unit etc.

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 1st lot is exactly what trying to achieve but not at that cost though and I'm sure it's a mission to fit..

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Yeah if you could please.. What are you doing just replacing blown bulbs?
No, I dont like the white ones that my car had, I prefer red.

Don't think you will. Colour of digits comes from the speedo internals not the leds/bulbs.
No, the colour comes from the LEDs, NOT the speedo.

To be fair changing anything from the manufacturers original specification i.e. how it came from the factory, is classed as a modification and you should tell your insurance company about it.

That includes stickers and badges, different head unit etc.
It wont invalidate the insurance.

So Ed is that with the dial face remove bulbs go in the front not back of the speedo?
Yes, there are 12 LEDs you need to change, they are LEDs, not bulbs. I put a black dot on the top of each LED on mine and the ones I removed, then made sure the dot was top right as I replaced them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts