Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm mid way through fitting new speakers to my 147 and need some help please!

I'm fitting Hertz component speakers and have learned from the forum that the crossovers should be wired from the woofer wiring and the existing tweeter wiring should be disregarded.

I did the driver's side yesterday with no probs. The woofer had two pairs of wires going to it (paired up in a single plug) and as one pair was red I guessed that the terminal that they went to was the positive (not marked on the old speakers).

On the passenger's side things are different - the two pairs of wires go to the tweeter and one pair goes to the woofer. The plugs are both the same and the wires are long enough to reach either speaker. Should I wire the crossovers to the plug with the two pairs of wires or the single pair - or doesn't it matter which I do? My guess is that it doesn't matter much, but that it would be more direct to wire to the twin plug as the single plug is a spur off it. Is that right?

The colours to both the single pair plug and the two pair plug are pink and black (terminal marked one) and purple and black (terminal marked two). I guess that pink and black is positive?

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Yes, the wires going to terminal 1 are 'positive'.

It doesn't matter which plugs you access, whether the double set at the tweeter, or single at the woofer. Both will provide a 'full range' signal, unaffected by any factory crossover filter.

:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for confirming that. I've fitted the speakers and they sound great. For anyone wondering whether replacing the original fit front speakers with better ones is worthwhile, I'd say definitely. I fitted Hertz DSK 165s and they are a big improvement for £80.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts