Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Alfisti. Its common knowledge that from new the GTs had plastic bags containing foam fitted in the sill cavities which over time leads to rust from the inside out!

The question is were the same sound deadening bags fitted from new in the sills of the 147? It stands to reason they did. But just wondered if anyone knew for sure?

Cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ive removed the bags from my GT (since the sills were rusted due to a previous owner jacking up the car wrong), but i dont think the 147 neceserrily has them, the GT is a much more comfort oriented and heavier, so im not sure if any comfort stuff is automatically also included in the 147.

The easiest way to check would be to remove the rubber bungs in the sill and prodd around a bit, see if you can feel anything in there. Taking them out would probably require opening the sills though.

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
The question is were the same sound deadening bags fitted from new in the sills of the 147? It stands to reason they did. But just wondered if anyone knew for sure?
Cheers
Yes, if you mean in the corners below the front windscreen. Though not sure it's just sound deadening, could also be to keep wind and dirt out.
Re rust, I had my 147 GTA for 13 years, with foam in place, and no rust ;)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Yes, if you mean in the corners below the front windscreen. Though not sure it's just sound deadening, could also be to keep wind and dirt out.
Re rust, I had my 147 GTA for 13 years, with foam in place, and no rust ;)
No, that's not what the thread is about. These bags are stuffed into the sills, PITA the get at, you have to remove the cards under the rear side windows.
I had my OS sill done a couple of years ago. The rusted part of the sill was cut out and the bag pull out that way. As has been mentioned these bags split and water thrown up by the front wheel that finds its way past the wheel arch liner is absorbed by the foam inside the bag.

The soaked foam sits on the sill and rusts it from the inside out. Been posted before but well worth a look at this youtube clip.

All the best, Pub.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
No bags of anything in my 2008 147 sills when I inserted lots of Bilthamber s50 cavity wax a couple of years ago. Take out the bungs and have a look.
yes, i believe you can remove the rubber bungs, then poke your finger inside and feel the bags.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great! Thanks for all the advice guys. Once it drys out a bit I'll have a look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts