Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new round here. I've got a 147 Selespeed, and my question has probably been asked like a gazillion times before. Ever since a certain young lady drove through the biggest puddle ever, the car won't go into a forward gear. Reverse works fine though. There are no fault codes on the examiner. I originally thought it was caused by the alternator, which stopped charging after said puddle incident. Now I've changed the alternator, the voltage is back up to 14V, but still no forwards gears.

The ECU has been swapped for a second hand unit, but same fault exists. My next line of investigation is the feedback potentiometers on the selespeed unit. Am I going in the right direction? Can the pots be purchased separately?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
First thing to check is the big connector block to the Selespeed actuator.

Open that and clean with a good comtact cleaner lube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked and cleaned the contacts on the big connector and also on the other smaller ones around the selespeed unit. Then I noticed that one of the potentiometers had a chunk of plastic missing so I took it off and checked the resistance. According to the info on the selespeed info pages linked from this forum, the resistance should be 1200 ohm between A and B. Mine was 800 ohm so I rang up the ever incompetent Caledonia Warrington to ask if they had a spare. They could get me one for £95, so I took the old one apart and found some water and some muck all over the tracks. Cleaned it up, refitted it, and the car now goes into first gear. Trouble is it's now saying "Selespeed System Failure". It will drive but won't go above second gear. Is this a "limp home" function?

Anyway, I can't remember the fault code, but the interpretation is "open circuit or short circuit on position sensor". Resistance between A and B is now 2000 ohm, so it's well out of spec. Looks like I'll have to buy a new pot. Can I get one cheaper anywhere else?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts