Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

i'm new on here, i have read though many forums.& they have been very helpful.
I have ( unwillingly) become an Alfa repair tragic :(.
I bought a 2nd hand Selespeed Pump for my Ex wife's 147 Selespeed ( 2007 Model).
I spent all last Sunday trying to get it out, I ( stupidly) took off all the mounting bolts/nuts, I then tried to remove the Nuts (Bronze & silver) that secure the hydraulic pipes to the pump.
i could not get them to budge even a millimetre.I am worried that by trying to hard i might Burr the silver one, as this requires an open ended spanner, if i burr it, I'll be up the creek.
This weekend im going to put back the mounting bolts in the hope that this will give me leverage to remove the 2 Hydraulic nuts.
It was a nightmare to get the pump mounting bolts/nuts off,just to get to them required a Lot of swearing. i've since read that removing the bumper & front light might make it easier..... is this advisable?

Any tips on releasing the pump Hydraulic nuts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
If the installation is like that on a 156, I would remove the pipes at the actuator instead and then remove the whole assembly including the bracket holding the pump.
I found that even with the pump bolted down to the bracket, it is very hard to remove because the pump sits on rubber supports as I am sure you know.

I've had to take out the whole lot, clamped the pump down on a vice and then only open the couplings at the pump. It was very very tight. No way I could have done it in situ.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the installation is like that on a 156, I would remove the pipes at the actuator instead and then remove the whole assembly including the bracket holding the pump.
I found that even with the pump bolted down to the bracket, it is very hard to remove because the pump sits on rubber supports as I am sure you know.

I've had to take out the whole lot, clamped the pump down on a vice and then only open the couplings at the pump. It was very very tight. No way I could have done it in situ.
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it.
Im very new to Alfas. im embarrassed to say " i will have to look up" how to get to the Actuator, i guess its at the other end of the Pipes that come from the pump. ill give it a go.
Thanks Again.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If your unions are too tight to remove on the car then they are done up too tight - they should be do-able with the pump still on its rubber mounts.

Bumper and headlamp removal definitely make it 10x easier - I never removed the other ends of the pipes as the unions are easy to get to once the bumper's out of the way (one side only needed) - plenty of patience and penetrating fluid on the bumper torx head bolts as they snap easily.

Changing the pump brushes (most common fault) is easy - if you don't fancy doing it I'll buy your old pump off you as I'd like a spare - just PM me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your unions are too tight to remove on the car then they are done up too tight - they should be do-able with the pump still on its rubber mounts.

Bumper and headlamp removal definitely make it 10x easier - I never removed the other ends of the pipes as the unions are easy to get to once the bumper's out of the way (one side only needed) - plenty of patience and penetrating fluid on the bumper torx head bolts as they snap easily.

Changing the pump brushes (most common fault) is easy - if you don't fancy doing it I'll buy your old pump off you as I'd like a spare - just PM me
Thanks for your Help, i also suspect its the brushes, i was hoping to replace them but i couldn't find where to buy any so i bought a 2nd hand pump instead. Hopefully the brushes are good on that.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
The unions on the pump are tight.
When I changed mine I managed to wedge the pump to stop the flex of the mounts and that held it tight enough to loosen the pipe union.

Before that I also nearly gave up on the pump end and tried the actuator end of the pipe, but that started to twist the solid pipe and I didn't want that failing, so stopped that and went back to the pump end, wedged it and got it off.

Mine had never been removed previously, so was as it left the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys, i typed a long response & it didnt post.
I got the replacement pump in, all was good for 20 Mins then the same old problem happened.
At traffic lights the car drops itself into neutral & wont go into gear after that. No gears at all.
I had to get it towed.....
I could hear the pump while i was waiting for the Tow truck, its priming but not engaging in any gear, it wouldn't let me change from " City " mode either.
Im sure that today, once its stone cold the Gears will select.
Ive read heaps of Forums & i was certain it was the pump at fault, obviously Not....
Id really appreciate any thoughts or feedback.Tanks guys.
PS im in Sydney.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hi Guys, i typed a long response & it didnt post.
I got the replacement pump in, all was good for 20 Mins then the same old problem happened.
At traffic lights the car drops itself into neutral & wont go into gear after that. No gears at all.
I had to get it towed.....
I could hear the pump while i was waiting for the Tow truck, its priming but not engaging in any gear, it wouldn't let me change from " City " mode either.
Im sure that today, once its stone cold the Gears will select.
Ive read heaps of Forums & i was certain it was the pump at fault, obviously Not....
Id really appreciate any thoughts or feedback.Tanks guys.
PS im in Sydney.
If you hear the pump running but won't go into gear still the fault is most likely with the accumulator, its the big black bulb thingy under the battery. You need to remove battery and battery tray to get at it. MUCH easier to replace than the pump, but you need to de-pressurise the system first or you'll wear a face full of Selespeed fluid as you try to remove it.

Baz

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Or it could just be a poor connection in the BIG connector block to the actuator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,

thanks again for the help. I will try to source a 2nd hand Accumulator & try that.
Does anyone know, if i was to find someone with the Alfadiag cable, & that knows how to use it ( i dont ) will it show me if there is an accumulator problem?
Or will it just show multiple errors?
Thanks
Eamonn

·
Registered
698 Posts
May I suggest you try the Ausalfa site (google it) and post there to see if any of the Sydney guys might be able to assist you with that. Just a lore local site might get you a better response to your needs

Baz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts