Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There, some help will be appreciated.
I have a 147 2l SS - It would'nt start because I cant get it into Neutral. When I hold the gear shift to the right it comes up with a Selespeed System Failure in the display. I had a look at the transmission fluid level and it was very low, topped it up but after a while I see the fluid coming through the bottom of the car. The car is in neutral though because it rolls when I put the handbrake down.

Please help me try to figure this one out. I did manage to get it to a mac. I dont even have this car a month!!!

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
If you keep the lever held over it will come up with an error, even if the system is working fine. It is just telling you that you have the lever held over. You will get the same thing if you drive along with your left foot lightly touching the brake pedal.

You obviously have a fluid leak, possibly from a pipe joint.
If you look through the recent Selespeed threads there was a similar case yesterday.
see here

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi still waiting for the machanic to get back to me.

Really anxious to find out what the problem is. Does anyone have a worst case scenario and a best case scenario with costs?

I hope that its just a pipe or something arb like that.

R

·
0 Posts
Check the bleed screw on top of the actuator (top of gearbox beneath battery, if you have small hands you'll get it without having to remove anything) could be leaking from here. As to the stuck in gear thing, mine did this recently and I had to get the garage to deselect the gear via examiner, but others on here have had some success removing all the connectors on the gearbox and cleaning/reseating them, I'd do it with the battery disconnected. Then hopefully it'll be clear when restarting it.

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys - update

My baby's able to start now, the mac says that it was a relay that had burnt out. So I dont think its gonna cost that much. I'm now able to get the car into neutral and select 1 and 2 but it does not go any further then that. Also when I engage reverse it pops back into neutral.

Two Questions:
1. Havent had the car long enough to know if the car should go past gear 2 if its stationary. Should it?

2. The mac says that he thinks the problem with reverse popping back into neutral will be fixed once all the error codes are cleared with an ECU. Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
1) with the engine running you will only get 1st, 2nd & reverse while stationary. If you try it with the ignition on but engine not running you should get all gears.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was on the forum last week reporting a problem with my selespeed being stuck in neutral (some of you guys may remember me?).

Got the car back yesterday, it turned out to be the relay that was faulty, it cost £6.95 for the relay, however the dealer has charged me £225 for diagnosing and fixing the problem (apparently took 2 hours)!!!!

Does anyone else think this is unreasonable? I'm going for an argument with them later today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my car back from the mac. charged me R800 to replace the relay.
Thats about 56 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts