Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, need your help. Im thinking of getting myself a 147 selespeed 2002 model. Currently has 120k km's on the odom. I heard numerous stories about the gearbox & gearselection acting up all the time. I have no idea what to look for, and ive never owned an alfa before. Is this car reliable. I dont pack on the km's, but i obviously dont want a car thats gonna spend most of its time being fixed.

Appreciate all the help i can get.

Cheers

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Quite a few areas to check with a Sele' so do a search, pop Selespeed in the box, and you will have plenty of 'read ups' to assist you.:):

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The thing with the sele' is that there are a lot more parts to go wrong, and unfortunately (probably due to relatively small production numbers in sele's) these extra bits don't tend to be cheap.

They are great fun to drive, I ran one for 5 years and absolutely adored it!! It's not so much that they are unreliable - it's just that (as with anything) parts wear out. Looking at a 2002 model with above average miles as you are - it's likely you are going to pick up some bills at some point.

Typical parts to wear out are; (UK typical replacement/repair prices)

Selespeed pump - upwards of £200.00 plus fitting
Actuator - around £1000 plus fitting
Selespeed ECU - £500 plus fitting

Possibly a rarer failure but one of my paddles went floppy, fortunately it was under warranty at the time but I had a complete new steering wheel which the dealer quoted £380 for the part.

The rewards of driving the sele' are great, but prepare yourself for some potentially large bills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks gil. Im located in south africa, so i think it will be even harder and much more expensive to source those spares should things start to go awry. Also on the flip side, i will be buying it with a 2 yrs extended warranty, so that shuld have me covered at least for the near future..also, i read numerous articales on the gearbox problems. Is this typical with this model, or is it only the odd one that experiences such problems

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Gil has hit the nail right head on! Mileage and hard use, are not the best factors to be had when buying a Selespeed, or any motor I guess? Although as I have mentioned, ours had only 12,400 on the clock, and had been fastidiously serviced, nurtured, whilst we had her, and 'stap' me if the new owner didn't end up with gear selection problems!:rolleyes:

Never let us down, only on the one occasion when that incorrect battery was fitted,did she misbehave. Once that was replaced she operated 100%.

They are as said though, a complicated piece of kit, but very much fun to drive. Would I have another? If I were younger possibly, but I'm with KG now, well not quite yet :D, so it's fully auto as and when.:):

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
as a long time selespeed owner (6 years now) I can only say , its a great system, but as said in this thread, high bills may come your way. But with 2 years warranty not much can go wrong...
Mine has doen 120k and 2 months ago a new gearbox (from a breaker) and clutch fitted , cost 1000 euro (750 ukp) car is from 1999 so that is not bad at all imho. I just had the chance to drive a C6 Corvette one with paddle shift and the other with stick.. the paddle shift car was much smoother !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts