Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just bought a 147 2.0TS Selespeed. 02 plate, 60k on the clock. Everything seems fine with it. Drives nice and tight and feels very powerful compared to previous cars I've owned. It had a cam belt snap previously and subsequently had the engine rebuilt. Also has had various bits replaced on the suspension.

Only one minor problem I have encountered is that it ocasionally jumps from city mode into manual. It is possible that I am inadvertently touching the steering wheel buttons but I don't think so. I must stress that this has only happened a handful of times but is nonetheless frustrating and I am quite neurotic about anything going wrong with the Selespeed part of the car. I have read the diagnostics guide posted on this forum but it seems to be aimed at someone with a degree of mechanics experience. Any tips from anyone as to what the problem might be?

Also, I would like to take my car for a service/check up before three months elapses from the purchase date. Any pointers on a decent independent in South or Central London (or anywhere in London for that matter).

I'm totally in love with the look, feel and drive of this car. Really hope it proves reliable as well.

thanks
Straker

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Complete Selespeed guide on the Technical site by Paul Denyer, fascinating for Sele enthusiasts, like me, recommended reading for fans. Got a comprehensive fault diagnosis tree. First class, just need that Examiner, plus a full course of instruction. Seriously, it is well worth reading!zf

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mate ...my gt is in the garage for exactly the same reason. My wife and i drive in manual mode and occasionally it jumps into city mode. Also we cant select reverse when this happens. Totally agree completely neurotic about these sort of things.
Problem i have is i persuaded the wife to trade in a BMW 3 series to get this car. She is a real BMW fan and i have slowly been winning her over to Alfa (first time we have owned one ) but everytime somthing goes wrong she gves me the " we should have bought a beamer " look.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked my car up from Kinghams today. They gave it a service and a thorough check for the cause of the selespeed prob (randomly dropping out of city mode into manual). Good-ish news is that everything is in a pretty good state and there was no major problem found with the gearbox. They think the problem might be related to the actuator solenoid which was apparently subject to a recall by Alfa. They are going to get the part from Alfa and fit it (free of charge as part of recall). Does anyone have any views on whether this part could be the cause my selespeed problem?

I shall post an update once it has been fitted and let you know if it changes anything.

I have to recommend Kinghams. Very professional and polite. They spent quite a lot of time looking into my problem and didn't charge for most of it as hadn't been quoted beforehand.

regards
Straker

G

·
One thing I have noticed is that if I put the car into neutral before it comes to a halt, for instance when approaching traffic lights, it will take the gearbox out of city mode.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Straker,pleased to hear things are progressing favourably .Regarding the actuator solenoid, Kinghams appear to be technically well versed in Selespeeds, which is well worth knowing.I personally enjoy driving the one we have,and having had excellent communications with Alfa in the past,Italian representation included, would ask for their recommendations were we suffering malfunctions. Meantime, not at all concerned, perhaps we are just fortunate, perhaps not, time will tell. Regards,zf

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine drops into manual without me touching anything. Doesn't happen very often but does occur consistently.

Kinghams ran a full examiner test on the car and found no problems. If there was a serious problem with the selespeed would it come up in examiner? I'm still a bit anxious that the problem may end up being one of these expensive selespeed sagas but if that was the case I guess the garage would have picked up on it when giveing the car its 'health check'.

Any reassuring words of wisdom from anyone?

cheers

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Again reckon it's DavidC who can answer most of your queries. It's interesting though, while back we had we had a show of hands on high mileage Selespeeds that were pretty much fault free. The results were encouraging. As always though some of it relates to mileage and useage, as most occuring problems do with other machines. Perhaps someone wants to buy all the Selespeeds up cheap?

G

·
This doesn't sound like it could be a 'physical' problem with any component of the Selespeed system, if it really is doing this of its own accord it sounds like a 'brain' problem. I think the only way it could not be so, is if one of the paddle or 'gearstick' switches were faulty and making contact randomly? If you are driving in normal mode for example, if you change gear up and down with either the paddles or the 'stick, do you have to be 'decisive' in doing so, or is one of the switches very sensitive?
I'm wondering whether just roadshock could be activating one of the switches as you are driving?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great point about the 'roadshock' possibility. I'm really not sure myself. I haven't noticed any ultra sensitivity or requirement for ultra decisive selection when using either joystick or paddles. Instinctively I feel you might be on to something though, as there is no clunking or mechanical noises or judders when the selespeed drops into manual of its own accord (assuming if there were this might indicate a more serious mechanical fault).

Any thoughts on whether a sticking actuator solenoid could be responsible? Does it sound feasible for this component to effect the city/manual setting of the selespeed?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Straker,there are far more experienced Sele 'peeps' on this site than me! However, when I first got the car I 'Ferreted' about, checking as many of the electrical connectors related that I could find. Battery carrier out, checked there first, then n/s footwell Box marked Selespeed, naturally. Flicked the paddles a few times,same with the city switch,clueless approach to an electronic maze.So far it works,but if it went up the creek,much heavy head scratching I reckon. Could be a dodgy, switch,connector,or something along the lines of VO2Maxes suggestions. Not much fun though,I know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: 147 Selespeed - City to Manual - DavidC

Just a little bump for David.

Sorry David, I realise you are an over used resource in this forum. Do you have any opinions on my problem, especially with regard to whether the actuator solenoid could be responsible?

ta
Straker

·
Registered
30,526 Posts
I don't think an actuator problem would cause the City to Manual issue.
I could just be an intermittent contact on the "City" switch or even on the Selespeed ECU.
On a 156 the ECU is in the passenger footwell, I expect it is probably in the same place on a 147 (it is quite a big ECU!).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.