Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I know i should do a search for this but, in all honesty, i can't be bothered ;)

Basically, since having the 159, the Mrs has started noticing 147's and she wanted me to ask questions

Her budget is around £3.5-£4k (not a lot i know) and she would ideally like something with leather

From what i've seen, that means she's going to be getting something prefacelift, or it's a facelift without any toys/leather

She would be going for the 1.9JDTM as she's got a 1.7 CDTi Corsa at the moment. What are the common problems? What should she look out for?

Cheers in advance

Smudge

·
Registered
126 Posts
hi your best bet is to go for a facelift shape go for lusso. leather waer bad if not looked after engine are strong but if the clutch pedal is hard then you put it down then you need a new one but i have had my 147 four three years and all ok good luck

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Spend a few hours browsing here and you will find that there are common themes.

1. Front suspension bushes. Drive over a few speed bumps or poor "B" road and you will hear / feel anything needing attention.
2. Rear suspension. Less frequent but happens and harder to diagnose as it usually shows up with uneven tyre wear. A lot of buyers think the wear is down to the tyres having been rotated and it might be but it could just as equally be rear suspension bushes.
3. Engine management warning lights. Some are false errors and can be reset and never return: others are genuine warnings that something needs attention.
4. Seat belt warning light. Almost always a false warning. get it reset and it won't come back. Well not until you move one of the seats on it's runners!
5. Once you have one get the front tracking reset to 0 deg. it will add about 8 - 12,000 miles to the life of the tyres (depending on your driving style) and won't adversely affect the handling.
6. You probably know this - make sure you get two keys and that both work.
7. Sidelight bulbs - some people can change them, some can't. I can't manage it so it's a garage job!

I don't know much about the 1.9 except that the early one is 8 valve and the later one is 16V. I think the early one is 115bhp and later 150bhp (though someone may correct me on that.) I don't think there are any horror stories and I think that both engines are Vauxhall based.

Make sure every electrical item works - be methodical including all electric windows and quite a few other less frequent issues.

I found the that "watching" sales on ebay for 6 - 8 weeks gave a very good idea of what these cars sell for. For the money you are thinking of spending you should be able to get a good one if you take your time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts