Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a letter from Alfa Romeo UK dated 24 October 2005 about how you should close the bonnet properly and after paying due attention to the handbook, then take car to any AR Dealer who will check and carry out any necessary maintenance free of charge :rolleyes:
This is similar to the 156 issue and I'm sure we are all aware of that but I thought I'd mention it ;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
This check started to be done last year (or was it 2 years ago?). And now it should be done when the Winter comes...
Better safe than sorry. ;)

·
Registered
30,030 Posts
The original bonnet recall was only for a select group of 156 build between set dates.
It now seams to have grown to cover all 156 & 147... expect to see a GT bonnet recall next year!

It is just normal maintenance, nothing special.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
David C said:
The original bonnet recall was only for a select group of 156 build between set dates.
Not exactly, David. I got the same letter last year and I'm with a 147. And the first incident that I recall to see due to this "problem" was exactly with a 147.
But that might have started with 156 tho. ;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
It will, eventually. ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
so whats the proper method of closing the bonnet? i normally just let it move till its near the closure, and let it fall. pls advise.

·
Registered
30,030 Posts
trento said:
so whats the proper method of closing the bonnet? i normally just let it move till its near the closure, and let it fall. pls advise.
Let it drop from around 20cm, then lift to ensure it is shut.

NEVER close it gently then push down on it to lock.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
What is the problem? I bought my 147 3 months ago so have no idea if its been checked, can I tell from a visual inspection? Should I get it to a garage?

Cheers

Sean.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem as such was " a very small number of reports of the bonnet accidentally opening on the AR 147" to quote AR UK obviously at speed !
On looking at the bonnet catch make sure it's well greased . They advise doing it every 12,000 miles on the schedule but I'd have a butchers everytime you check the oil.
Of course 33 owners never have this problem :D

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
logic said:
uhm, without doubt more than 2 years ago ...
Time flies! :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Amazing that Alfa have had hundreds of cases of failed cambelt tensioners etc etc, but no recall, then a couple of bonnets open while driving and next thing you know, a recall to rectify. They should be as serious about mechanical failures.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Got my letter today. Funny that as i did have a minor incident with the bonnet and it appears as if there are couple of small dents on the bonnet where the top catch fixings are.
Does anybody think this minor damage should be rectified by Alfa? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
TVRTASMIN said:
Does anybody think this minor damage should be rectified by Alfa? :rolleyes:
Sorry, don't think so. :rolleyes: It has nothing to do with the catching problem. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts