Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I tried long and hard (took way longer than I'm happy to admit) to run the wires and still failed with the power wire. I just could not get it through the firewall by the grommet that the hoodlatch cable and another fat harness uses. I tried looking for other places, even removed the glovebox, but had no success. The grommet I found would be perfect as it exits above and to left of the pedals, but there is no easy way to remove or cut a larger hole in it. I tried with a heated screwdriver carefully as to not poke through the mentioned harness, but still it was not enough to pull it through (wire is 4 awg).

Tried searching the forum and google, but couldn't find much info, apart from the fact that it's a PITA, and yeah, I can back that one for sure :p.

So my question is, is they're another location that won't take hours to route the power cable?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I will need to rout my power cable this spring...

as I have a LHD car, there is a point over at the drivers side which could be used for the purpose, it's somewhere behind the glove box

A friend of mine just made a hole through the firewall close to the ABS pump and routed it far above the pedals - I think I will go this route

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will need to rout my power cable this spring...

as I have a LHD car, there is a point over at the drivers side which could be used for the purpose, it's somewhere behind the glove box

A friend of mine just made a hole through the firewall close to the ABS pump and routed it far above the pedals - I think I will go this route
I too have a LHD. Yup that's the same one above the abs, same one the hoodlatch cable uses. I did manage to get it through finally, so I can give you some info on what I did, because I could not find any:

• If you plan on routing thin wire (8awg/10mm2 and thinner) it might be possible by just poking a straightened coat hanger and pulling it through.
In my case of 4awg wire (20mm2) this was impossible (I tried for multiple hours).

• So what I did was use a heated screwdriver to melt a hole in the grommet for the wire. Be VERY CAREFUL if you do attempt this method though, as to not melt through to the harness that also uses this grommet.
  • Next I poked the coat hanger through and made a loop at the end of it, twisting the ends so it does not bend straight and let go of your wire. Then I stripped about 5cm (1.5inch), and "sharpened" the end of the cable insulation (that 0.5mm edge you get when you strip the wire) and twisted the wire on the loop I made. Lastly wrapped it all in tape, dipped it in some holy water and went for the 1000th attempt, which thankfully was successful.
My main problems were the cable kept letting go where I twisted it, straight up ripped due to a mediocre insulation stripping job (made sure not to cut any bit of the wire on the final attempt), the coat hanger loop straightened out, got caught, or also, just straight up ripped off due to multiple tries of pulling it through.

As for routing it in the cabin I just tucked it under the plastic between the carpet and the door, it came out by where the seatbelt mounts, from there I routed it under the seat and into the boot, this is quite easy because the seats fold up on the 147. Same procedure for the RCA's on the other side of the car. There is some cable visible between the seat and where the seatbelt mounts, so you could unbolt the plastics and run it through the rear doorcard for a full on stealth install. Have yet to find a good ground, but have temporally used one of the bolts of the luggage hooks in the trunk.

Hope my experience will help with yours being less miserable!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the update :)

Would it be a problem if you took a picture or two of where you poked the power cable under the hood and above the pedals? This would help so much, thank you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Would it be a problem if you took a picture or two of where you poked the power cable under the hood and above the pedals? This would help so much, thank you.
No problem at all, I will take some when I get a chance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Here you are ;) I put a plastic cover over the wire on the engine bay side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts