Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suspension seems to be the talk of the town this weekend on here?

Ever since i picked up the 2008 147 sport for the wife i've been unhappy with its ride height at the back, so i've been looking at a lowering spring kit.

The car is currently as below;
Arch to tyre gap front 60mm / rear 98mm
Arch to wheel centre front 360mm / rear 400mm

Now, all the kits i've found lower the same all round or more at the front than the back, which is the opposite to what i need. if i drop it 40mm all round the front would be only 20mm from the arch but the back will still be jacked up at 60mm from the arch !!!

Why does this car have such a high stance at the back but normal height at the front? i've read somewhere about a comfort suspension option on facelift cars?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi there,

Sorry can't get any advice on this; however my 147 when I bought it was already lowered 40mm.
The whole stance looks fantastic.
Seeing other 147s it's quite an obvious change.

However last MOT what became apparent was that in lowering the suspension; whoever did it failed to adjust the camber- so the tyres have worn away faster on the inside than the outside!
Tracking is spot on and all four wheels are the same.

If anyone else replies here I'll be interested to know if the camber can indeed be adjusted. Hope so! The 147 IMO btw does look much better lowered!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure there is any camber adjustment on the rears, its usually done by eccentric bolts or slotted damper mounts but don't think this applies to the 147?
You could slot the damper mounts but for the 1 or 2 degree's involved in lowering by 30mm i don't think its worth it?
I'm prepared to be shot down on both counts

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
The eccentric bolt is designed to change the toe at the rear, but will have a slight influence in camber too... No camber setting on standard suspension - you'll have to resort to other tricks

Lowering WILL increase camber, but not more than 1 deg on 30mm drop.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered the -40mm springs, will only be putting the lower springs on the back leave stock at the front.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's going to slow your car down as you are going to drive uphill all the time :cheese:
Ha Ha, yes if only that was the case, i would have been driving down a 1:10 hill for the last 6 months!

The back of the car will sit 10mm higher than the front with the new springs on, 50mm tyre to arch at the front / 60mm at the back.
It desperately needs doing as it currently looks pathetic.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well fitted the -40mm springs to the rear and its dropped it perfectly, the car now sit 10mm nose down and looks spot on.
Greased the top rubber cups with silicone grease and its silent at the back now.
Didn't mess about taking the whole strut off just removed the bottom link bolt and anti roll bar drop link then lowered the strut and pivoted it out with the top link bolt still in, dead easy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh does anyone want a pair of front -40mm Lo springs for £35?

·
Registered
617 Posts
My car is lowered 40mm already,

yes maybe 1 or 2 degrees out but its strange how significantly the tread has worn on the inside...

I was thinking of swapping tyres around so the inner part is on the outer.
Just to prolong the life of the tyres...
£40 though to be done...

·
Registered
617 Posts

yes maybe 1 or 2 degrees out but its strange how significantly the tread has worn on the inside...

£40 though to be done...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

£40 though to be done...
So how does your car sit -40mm all round? i only lowered the back as it was seriously high.
If i fitted the -40mm springs to the front i would only have 10mm tyre to arch clearance.
Also as its the wife's car i don't want her hitting the front bumper on kerbs or scraping the exhaust over speed bumps.

Reactions: Mighty-147

·
Registered
109 Posts
Adjustment

there is a Dutch member on here that makes adjustment parts for the top arms on 156/147's
I have some on my 156 v6 and managed to get all of my alinement spot on perfect,and my car sits on eibach pro's all round.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts

£40 though to be done...
Perfectly 0 toe front alignment does aide tire life. Toe in with big camber wears the inner edge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts