Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howsit..

My 147 is fitted with the 'turismo spec' steering wheel (this one). As far as I'm aware, all other 147 models imported here are fitted with the wheel-mounted audio controls - most are heavily decked out as standard and we don't have the turismo/lusso spec divisions. I lost contact with the woman I bought the car off, so never could find out why I have this particular steering wheel.
Anyway, I'm just wondering about retrofitting a steering wheel with the audio controls. I'm intent on retaining the centre section/airbag but just wondered if there is any way I can find out whether my car is equipped with cables that allow for the audio controls to be connected?

Cheers

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
hmm, could be tricky without dismantling the steering wheel to find out.

so, places i'd check include:
*the plug for the headunit: the allocated plug for steering wheel controls is the 'green mini-ISO' plug, so remove the headunit and check; there should be a label atop the headunit with a schematic of the wires; the steering wheel control wires are labelled 'RC-A', 'RC-B' and in between these is a 'GND'
*steering wheel: remove airbag, and check for necessary wiring; presumably all 147's use the same 'clock spring' (wiring contact mechanism between wheel and housing that allows you to turn the wheel whilst maintaining contact), and that the wiring is in place; not sure if you want to be fiddling with the airbag, so might be something to check first with your alfa workshop rather than attempt at home

if the headunit shows the wires on its schematic, and the wires are there, then chances are it's all compatible and ready to go.

my GT headunit was a '937' model, which was compatible: http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/18432591/291012684.jpg

:)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shiny, do I need a specific tool to remove the HU or will something like an allen key suffice?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
shiny, do I need a specific tool to remove the HU or will something like an allen key suffice?
Now then mate, get a wire coat hanger and some pliers, cut the coat hanger up so you can make 2 U shaped pieces of wire that will fit in the holes in the factory fit head unit.

Push in then pull the whole unit out, all they do is release the clips but also help you get leverage to take the unit out.

Or buy some bits of wire from your local car audio shop for a few dollars (they aren't expensive here but not sure how much equivalent things cost over there)

Hope this helps.

Sean

·
7,713 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas..

Removed it with wire pieces, from what I can tell the wiring diagram on mine is the same as the pic above. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly, but from my understanding the wiring diagram (for the wheel mounted audio control part) correlates with the green colour input on the HU??:
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/4226/dsc03772sd4.jpg
From what I can tell there are no wires for the RC-A and RC-B functions...? :(

Given the HU is compatible for the wheel audio controls though, would it be possible to install a wire to run through to the steering wheel? This of course would be beyond my level of competence lol. :)

·
7,713 Posts
bugger. it won't be as simple as running new wires, so i don't think it's a viable option for you, though i can't be certain (obviously).

it just depend show much wiring is in place. i'm looking at a workshop manual, and it describes at least one important plug which seems to differentiate the cars with/without controls: there's a plug that sits behind the steering wheel (as part of the clockspring) which feeds to the wheel control (in addition to airbag plug). the plug will either be:
A: 2-hole: for the horn only
B: 8-hole: for horn + steering wheel controls + where applicable the selespeed paddle wires

but to find the plug, you have to remove the airbag, which may/may not be something you want to do at home. yet i suppose if you find the 2 plugs (airbag+other), you can see how many holes are in that 2nd plug and if it's an 8-hole plug - with wires leading to/from it - you would presume it's setup for steering wheel controls. BUT, i find it difficult to believe you'd have an 8-hole plug but no actual wires going to the headunit.

back to you as to whether it's worth investigating. :D

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn.. Yeah, I don't want to go fiddling with the airbag.
Is the 8-hole plug that allows for audio-controls/selespeed paddles mounted separate to the steering wheel/airbag assemblies tho? Just wondering if the rear section of the steering wheel that connects to the fascia houses this, in which case a new steering wheel may provide it..? Wishful thinking probably...
Thanks for your help btw. :)

·
7,713 Posts
i think you'd have to either remove the airbag or remove the steering wheel to see it, not sure.

i think it's part of the clockspring, which is the 'twirly' bit (!) that the wheel engages with. i doubt you'd see it from dismantling the column fascia.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am in the same situation, i took the steering wheel off, it doesn't have any small pin connector that connects the steering wheel control. IS this just a case of getting a the loom that's needed?

Currently it only has 2 plugs, one for the airbag and another one that plugs into the wheel (assume this is for the horn)

You can see from pictures here

https://goo.gl/photos/yyPqRgEvFdSspBBS6

Is something meant to plug into those blue bits?

Thanks

Thanks
Ming

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've done this, you need to replace the clock spring with the new wheel as this connects the buttons. Other than this it was a straight swap. Although this was on a 156 the wheel is the same.

The air bag can be swapped as its the same but disconnect the battery and leave it for 20 mins first.

Make sure you don't move the wheel and the clock spring orientation is correct or the car will be in undrivable as the ABS has a fit, been there as well!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've done this, you need to replace the clock spring with the new wheel as this connects the buttons. Other than this it was a straight swap. Although this was on a 156 the wheel is the same.

The air bag can be swapped as its the same but disconnect the battery and leave it for 20 mins first.

Make sure you don't move the wheel and the clock spring orientation is correct or the car will be in undrivable as the ABS has a fit, been there as well!
Hey, what do you mean the clock spring? Do you have a picture?

IS it like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-147-Wiper-Light-Indicator-And-Cruise-Stalk-With-Clock-Spring-/282199081317?hash=item41b4604165:g:hs8AAOSwYIxX7PDl

I recently fitted cruise control to my car as well may be a wasted part if is!

What about those small connectors on the wheel? does something go onto that?

Also did you have to pop the radio out to plug anything in ? or all that was fine already?

And when you say don't move the wheel and the clock spring orientation, as i am changing the wheel and clock spring how do i ensure the "Correct Orientation" ?

Thanks
Ming

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes its the circular bit in the middle. The one you have should only have the connection for the horn. The radio connections were all there ready to go, but you need to check as its all part of the loom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts