Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I had a 2003 147 2.0TS for about 2weeks before a 'brilliant' driver decided to jump a stop and smash into me, resulting in a write-off. The insurance on this car was only 61 900, so I am looking to replace the car for a similar amount give or take 10 000. I can't afford more than that as I am a student and have that saved up. Willing to spend it all to get back into an Alfa :)

So do you guys have any ideas for me, I would prefer a similar Alfa. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with both the 1.6 and 2.0 147's, and should I settle for a 1.6 or keep searching for a 2.0.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi guys.

I had a 2003 147 2.0TS for about 2weeks before a 'brilliant' driver decided to jump a stop and smash into me, resulting in a write-off. The insurance on this car was only 61 900, so I am looking to replace the car for a similar amount give or take 10 000. I can't afford more than that as I am a student and have that saved up. Willing to spend it all to get back into an Alfa :)

So do you guys have any ideas for me, I would prefer a similar Alfa. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with both the 1.6 and 2.0 147's, and should I settle for a 1.6 or keep searching for a 2.0.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Heya

I own a 2003 147 2.0 and love it! I havent driven a 1.6 so I cant compare. But I do know I smile everytime I drive mine. So If you can, get another 2.0.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The 1.6 is a brilliant little car aswell, the engine is keen to rev and they are cheaper to maintain than the 2.0's.
Just keep in mind that the 2.0 had higher standard specifications.
All 147's have their electronic lil issues, but all in all a brilliant little car.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I was looking at a 1.6 after my 2.0, but it was not the same. You want the leather and all the toys to play with that's in the 2.0. It felt like a real downgrade.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice. I decided to keep the search for the 2.0 147 going, and will only settle for an immaculate 1.6. Really appreciate the feedback :)

61900+10000= R71900

ALFA ROMEO 156 GTA 3.2 V6 R 74 550

Do some bargaining :p

Its a GTA you know you want too :thumbs:
156 GTA - Autotrader
Honestly if I could afford the petrol bill I would go for it, but as a student I lack funding in general :(

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Keep the search up if you can for the 2.0 and let us know what you get eventually, so you can join us for a run in the future:thumbs:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those that are interested I have so far only found one decent 147 within the pricerage (Being limited as a student sucks allot!). Its a 2004 147 1.6 with less then 100k km, in immaculate condition, full service history and has just had the major service. The search for the 2.0 is still on though :)

Pictures of the car: https://picasaweb.google.com/102768433748956230975/Alfa14716

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 1.6 and as a student it could be the right one for you.
A bit cheaper to maintain and a bit more fuel efficient.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 1.6 and as a student it could be the right one for you.
A bit cheaper to maintain and a bit more fuel efficient.
I tend to agree. I mean, the 2.0l is a great car but at the same time, if a good 1.6 comes along in your price range I reckon it might be a good idea to get it, you don't want to hold out for a 2.0l and have to end up getting one that has alot more mileage and has not been looked after.

And in any case, you won't be a student for ever:thumbs:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tend to agree. I mean, the 2.0l is a great car but at the same time, if a good 1.6 comes along in your price range I reckon it might be a good idea to get it, you don't want to hold out for a 2.0l and have to end up getting one that has alot more mileage and has not been looked after.

And in any case, you won't be a student for ever:thumbs:
Feels like it through :p. Still got to honours next year, then two years of masters, then community service. Oh the horror of choosing a degree that needs a masters to be any use.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much guys, you have been a huge help :). Still young so still learning and I really appreciate the patience.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you done a search on Autotrader yet? There are a few 147's in the 50 - 70k price range. Perhaps you've already found out about each...just saying.

But definitely stick with a 147, brilliant little cars they are.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts