Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reconditioning the rear callipers on my 147 and have hit a small issue. I've got new main piston seals to fit but I can't remove the old ones. I've managed to tear one already so I'm not touching the other side until I've sorted it. I think I need to move the piston out a little more but it's too stiff to move. I've tried to move the piston by moving the handbrake linkage on the back of the calliper but all that achieves is spurting brake fluid everywhere.

So has anybody got any ideas on what I should try next?

Cheers,

Robin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hah, well I got the piston out by unscrewing it from it's shaft but I'm b***ered if I can get the thing back again with the new seal. Still trying; it's going to be a long night... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it (yesterday) :D

Trick is to lube up the piston and seal with plenty of brake fluid, get the master seal installed and then stretch it to insert the piston. Once on the piston shaft, bash and screw it into place.

On no circumstance get the piston in before the main piston seal as it appears easier but actually it is impossible to get the seal installed once the piston is in place.

Car will be back on the road as soon as Black Diamond send the right pads :mad: :mad: :mad: Yes you heard it here first folks, Alfa sticker on the box, Subaru pads inside the box! :rant: :rant: :rant:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts