Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a problem with left rear bearing on my 147. It started as a ABS ASR VDC problem.
When I took off the rear brake disc I saw that the ABS magnetic ring on the bearing is falling apart. There is only about 2/3 of the ring left on the bearing.

Now I have 2 options. Buy a new one for about 100€, or get used one from crashed 147 (with about 80.000km on it) for ~20€.
What do you think. Is it worth buying used bearing, or will it only give me problems?

Also, are all bearings for 147 the same? I looked at the ePer, and there are two part numbers available, but it doesent say what the difference is.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi there,

I did this job a few weeks back on my wife's 147. In my opinion you will not be able to remove the bearing from an old car without destroying it. I posted a guide with pics on this task in this thread:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...heel-bearing-easy-removal-from-stub-axle.html

You will see that the puller tool required to remove the bearing also broke it in two - it seems this always happens. For the effort involved, buy a new one - fitting it is easy. Just buy the one with the correct ABS ring (there are two kinds from memory - any supplier worth his salt will ask for your cars details and source you the right one. EB Spares did describe the differences to me at the time, but I have since forgotten).

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts