Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
IMO and IME (in my experience) an increase in roll stiffness, whether at the front or rear end of the car, is likely to improve the responsiveness of the steering and chassis. But after the initial response, as lateral forces rise toward the limit of adhesion, will increasingly affect understeer / oversteer characteristics, depending on which end of the car has had its' roll stiffness increased.

So when it is said that (e.g.) a stiffer front ARB will increase understeer, it really means that understeer will (probably) be increased as substantial weight transfer takes place and the car increasingly approaches it's limit of adhesion, not necessarily meaning that the car will be more 'understeery' at turn in or in the early corner phase.

I suspect that some people may confuse improved steering response - which a stiffer front ARB should create - with a decrease in understeer - which a stiffer front ARB is less likely to create (unless perhaps the front suspension geometry is poor, e.g. MacPherson Strut, in which case a reduction in roll motion may keep the front wheels more 'upright', which may well decrease understeer, despite an increase in front lateral weight transfer).

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Hmm, I was under the impression that all cars fitted with Q2s had front and rear anti roll bars the same diameter as GTA models, I ve had 2 Ducati Corses and both had 23mm front anti roll bars and 16mm rears.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hmm, I was under the impression that all cars fitted with Q2s had front and rear anti roll bars the same diameter as GTA models, I ve had 2 Ducati Corses and both had 23mm front anti roll bars and 16mm rears.
I know why I got confused about this now with my 147 Q2 sport. It looks like the GT Q2 had the GTA ARB but not the 147.

You might be right about the Ducati Corse. I had one previously and I'm sure I remember the handling being slightly better than my Q2 sport although the lower profile tyres may also explain it.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I know why I got confused about this now with my 147 Q2 sport. It looks like the GT Q2 had the GTA ARB but not the 147.

You might be right about the Ducati Corse. I had one previously and I'm sure I remember the handling being slightly better than my Q2 sport although the lower profile tyres may also explain it.
OK, seems like I assumed it applied to all Q2 cars.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
21 - 26 of 26 Posts