Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i have a 147 ( 02 reg ) and could do with some advice . it seems that the electrics are playing up , when i try to start the car i get various warning indications ( ARS , ABS , EBD , immobiliser failures ) there seems to be alot of 'clicking' like something is trying to start ( as regards the electrics ) . i tried to jump start it but to no avail ( it does not seem to be a battery problem ) and up until today had no problems other than a bulb out
i have a dreadful feeling this is going to be expensive , help .

·
Registered
657 Posts
russt47 said:
hi
i have a 147 ( 02 reg ) and could do with some advice . it seems that the electrics are playing up , when i try to start the car i get various warning indications ( ARS , ABS , EBD , immobiliser failures ) there seems to be alot of 'clicking' like something is trying to start ( as regards the electrics ) . i tried to jump start it but to no avail ( it does not seem to be a battery problem ) and up until today had no problems other than a bulb out
i have a dreadful feeling this is going to be expensive , help .
Firstly, many Alfas seem to have dodgy electrics - I get them playing up all the time.

Is that clicking noise behind the dash? That is common, mine has it and many other Alfa owners - something to do with the air conditioning as far as I can recall.

Are you saying the car will not start despite jump starting? If so, to guess this on a forum is just guesswork - state where you are and somebody is bound to suggest a good local independant - I am assuming you have breakdown cover to get you to the garage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
car will not start no matter what i do ( jump start or bump start ) . it is like the battery is going i.e. lights on dash are dim & radio , lights , heaters etc. do not come on but when i tried to recharge the battery my recharger said the battery was full
clicking sound still being made when i attempt to start car . this comes from the dashboard

R

·
0 Posts
russt47 said:
car will not start no matter what i do ( jump start or bump start ) . it is like the battery is going i.e. lights on dash are dim & radio , lights , heaters etc. do not come on but when i tried to recharge the battery my recharger said the battery was full
clicking sound still being made when i attempt to start car . this comes from the dashboard

Turn the key to MAR and leave it a few seconds. Which lights stay on? Is there any fault lights lit up?

Using a multimeter you can test your battery voltage across the positive terminal and any good earth on the chassis. If it's lower than about 12.5v (I think) then the battery is dead and needs replacing. This is quite likely, the starter makes a loud clicking (like a toy machine gun) when there isn't enough power to turn it over. This happens on my spider if I leave it too long without a good run.

Also, make sure the terminals on the battery are connected correctly, tight, and clean (ie. not covered in muck or corrosion) especially the earth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) :) :) changed the battery after a couple of people ( on this forum ) said this could be a possible cause . it was .
the car is now back in full working order
many thanks to all who suggested this :)

N

·
0 Posts
Yup 147s are battery hungry.
They never seem to last more than 3 years.

I think it's more and more to do with the amount
of automotive electronics (put everything on the CAN bus!)
that are still in play whilst the car is parked up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts