Alfa Romeo Forum banner

147 Problems in the cold...

988 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jamesb 
G
#1 ·
Well, this is my first post on this board, but hopefully you'll be able to help me out...

I got my 147 2.0 Selespeed in October and am extremely happy with it, apart from one problem. When the temperature drops below zero for a few hours while the car is not started, pretty much everything fails on the car!

This was first brought to my attention before Christmas when the alarm went off at 7.30 am for no reason and then I couldn't turn it off because all the systems had failed! So now I can't set the alarm at night because I'm afraid it will go off again. However, even with the alarm off, the problem still occurs.

When I come out in the morning, the remote for central locking doesn't work, I turn the key in the ignition and the radio won't come on, the car won't start and none of the systems come online. If I leave the key in the ignition for about 5 mins, everything reboots and works fine again and I can drive away.

I took it into the dealer this week and they reckoned it was something to do with the radio, and changed it, but it happened again this morning.

Personally, I think it's the main computer in the car itself failing, but I'm not sure if this makes sense.

Anyway, any help or advice at all would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

James.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Jamesb,

I hope you’ll enjoy your 147 as much as I do. I’ve had the exact opposite of your problem, mine was failing on the day of delivery and a couple of times since. My Selespeed was towed away four times, because it didn’t start due to a selespeed-system-failure.

It took a while before the dealer knew what causes the problem. But after a while we located the cause: if the inside temperature of the car was above 25 degrees the main computer was malfunctioning. It took 27 days
to replace the maincomputer. And I must say, since the replacement everything works fine.

Selespeed

BTW guys, I made a 147-site http://home.planet.nl/~rietv485/alfa147 (sorry, it’s dutch)

#4 ·
Hi Guys,
I drive my 147 Selespeed from November and I have not any problems with the selespeed. Here in Cyprus winter is not so bad. what i'm affraid of is the summer. Sometimes the temperature reaches 42 deg. cel. Imagine inside the car what will be the temperature if it stays in the sun.
What do u think about that?

Simon

G
#6 ·
Well I phoned the dealer the other day and told them what you guys have said and they've ordered me a new main computer. Hopefully should be here soon and I won't have any problems any more (touch wood).

Still love the 147 to bits though, even with the problem I still break into uncontrollable smiles when I'm just driving along

Thanks for the help (especially selespeed).

James.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.