Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 147 to the dealers to have the two passenger side air bag cover clips replaced as the one side of the air bag cover wasn't flush with the dash.

In spite of replacing both clips (both were broken) they weren't able to get the cover flush (warping of the cover is not an issue).

The right side clip (when seated in the car) isn't able to attach properly because the mount where the clip attaches to on the dash itself is broken.

As usual with little problems like this the dealers told me there is nothing I can do about it short of replacing the dash. Has anyone repaired a problem like this? Perhaps by rebuilding the mount itself.

Thanks

Andrew
South Africa

·
Registered
33 Posts
This has also just happened to me over the weekend during the hot 40deg celcius heat wave we've been having here in Australia atm. WTF??? Its totally noticeable & cannot simply be pushed back in! Mine has come loose & pertrudes out on the right hand side like the op above, but what are the chances of the clip itself being broke & not the clip holder? Is it possible to fix it myself "safely" w/out warping/heating it up & w/out the airbag exploding? Is it even safe to fiddle around with it myself to inspect how it all fits together inside? I've read the clips themselves are only a couple dollars & replacing the whole dash would be a major rip off..

Edit update:

Ooo, has been discussed here on alfaowner(great alfisti forum btw!) before. Check "A Romeo's" detailed 'clip-fix DIY' post near the bottom. Definitely not taking to alfa dealers now

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/243842-156-airbag-cover.html

·
Registered
33 Posts
To anyone else wanting to fix the passenger airbag cover clips: On the gta there are only 7 clips to remove the glove box + 2x bolts under the airbag to lift out the cover. Im not sure how much the dash material differ from other models but I bent the bottom right corner by hand so its no longer naturally pushing out the clip at the corner. Didnt need to heat it up or anything....I think the extreme weather (high heat & cold) warped the cover & finally the clip gave way. I used a sharp stanley to cut existing clips off... Now it sits perfectly flush thanks to 'A Romeo' diy in the above link =)

I recently took my 147 to the dealers to have the two passenger side air bag cover clips replaced as the one side of the air bag cover wasn't flush with the dash.

As usual with little problems like this the dealers told me there is nothing I can do about it short of replacing the dash. Has anyone repaired a problem like this? Perhaps by rebuilding the mount itself.
"Replacing the whole dash.." ? Bloody dealers LOL!

·
Registered
562 Posts
To anyone else wanting to fix the passenger airbag cover clips: On the gta there are only 7 clips to remove the glove box + 2x bolts under the airbag to lift out the cover. Im not sure how much the dash material differ from other models but I bent the bottom right corner by hand so its no longer naturally pushing out the clip at the corner. Didnt need to heat it up or anything....I think the extreme weather (high heat & cold) warped the cover & finally the clip gave way. I used a sharp stanley to cut existing clips off... Now it sits perfectly flush thanks to 'A Romeo' diy in the above link =)

"Replacing the whole dash.." ? Bloody dealers LOL!
Will try this thanks - have been posting about a similar issue on a 147 2.0

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hello there,

I also have this issue on my 147 2.0 but am wondering now if it was just the right hand side that the clip had broken and then the left clip was holding it in showing a 'lift' on the right hand side of the panel?
I had a go at moving the cover then I discovered the breakable clips... ho hum.

Looking at the design of the clips; (photo included for reference) I'm wondering within the design if there's two stages of clip attachment - does the right hand side have a closer fit? like the lower part of the clip?

But then I see there is only one breakable part inside the design.

Might investigate soon.

I though of gluing them but I tried and super glue didn't hold it, then I thought I could never trust that the Airbag would deploy properly so don't want that on my conscience.....

Attachments

·
Administrator
87,198 Posts
... Looking at the design of the clips; (photo included for reference) I'm wondering within the design if there's two stages of clip attachment - does the right hand side have a closer fit? like the lower part of the clip? ...
No.

Buy 2 new replacement clips, be careful when fitting them & watch that they are aligning with the holes when closing the panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts