Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to buy either 2004 GT or 2008 147 both with 170,000km on clock and are diesels, basically same price. Really not sure which one to get, point me in the right direction please?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Main difference. Ones a coupe the other is a hatch back with 5 or 3 doors.
Depends if you want the extra doors.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will just be me and the better half in it so doors dont concern me - more interested in drive / handling / fuel economy plus of course ongoing maintenance / reliability.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
The only real difference is the GT has frameless door windows and bigger rear brakes (278mm on GT, 251mm on 147).

Same engine, gearbox, ECUs, suspension, etc., etc..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
147, you will only regret it if you don't go for it every time you see one.

To me the GT's fastback looks a bit larda*se, a bit style over function. However a resulting gain is the boot size. The 147's is fairly small for the class, the GT's is easily capable of accomodating a week's shopping, golf clubs and a dead body.

The GT's frameless windows look nice but are a common source of wind noise and leaks.

However the GT has to have a V6. Well, it doesn't really, but if it doesn't you'll never escape the nagging feeling that it should. That elevates it beyond sense to obsession and bankruptcy. With the 147 it's much clearer that the GTA is a money pit that only 'enthusiasts' (crazy people) knowingly jump into, with the GT they just slide down the side and can't get out. Divorce and ruin are inevitable.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Like I say you are probably better off in the GT. Its slightly nicer inside.

Running costs will be the same. The 147 you get a slightly better range of engines.

Please note for a 2004 or 2008 money I would think the better condition car should get your money...

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
One significant consideration: a 2008 147 1.9 16v JTD will have the Magneti Marelli 'plastic' manifold with metal swirl flaps (hand grenade design), a 2004 GT with the same engine will have no swirl flaps. Autolusso - Swirl Flap Delete
Got another one in today, 2008 GT CF4 swallowed 2 of it's swirl flaps

Ned

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Had both. Would have the GT every single time. The 147 is nice but the GT is a whole other world.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If there's only 2 buy a gt me on the other hand bought the gt with my heart not my head.

I really need a 4 door so looking at a 159 next

·
Registered
948 Posts
GT all day long...immensely practical with coupe looks...for when you can't cope with a GTV anymore!

Personally the 147 was one of those Alfa's that never appealed from the start, the back end is reminiscent of a Peugeot of the same era and while the front of the originals is bearable the facelift could be some Korean whatnot shopping car (No offence :devious:)
Obviously a GTA is something else, but a potential moneypit to keep in top nick.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The gt is a more desirable car that's why it's 4 years older but still worth the same. Running costs will be comparable but as said before swirl flaps are best avoided so you can add £400 to the cost of the 147 to remove them.
Leather, a good colour and big wheels also add value to either. Also worth noting that the 147 has 4 years less of rusting floorpan to contend with.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
They are the same underpinnings as I am sure you are aware, however I have never looked at a 147 and gone wow, that is a thing of beauty..Its a bit ordinary for me, that said many people love them and would disagree strongly with my opinion and that is exactly as it should be, vive' la difference'

The world would be a boring place if we all loved the same things, if you are really 50/50 on it then as firstcaralfa says buy the best condition one you can find, this will likely mean a 147 as they are more plentiful and cheaper than the GT to buy, they will however cost much the same to run.

I think the GT interior is a bit nicer .

IMHO though..

I couldn't agree less with the lard arse statement made earlier, I think the GT is gorgeous from every angle...one point worth making is no matter what you do with a 147 it will always be a ''hatchback'' more power just makes it a hot hatchback, I can see the attraction but I don't think the 147 has nearly the presence the GT has. it would line up with an ST, a 208 GT ,a Clio Rs 200 and be in the ''right company'' the GT would be Lining up with Audi TT's, Maserati 3200's and BMW 3 series...it's all together a more grown up car.

The GT just oozes class and Looks way more money than its worth, mine was parked between a GTV and Maserati 3200 at Brooklands and really did not look out of place..I personally don't think a 147 looks wise sits comfortably in that company...the GT is definitely more of a statement vehicle IMO.

here are a few pics of mine, yes it been lowered(properly) and the wheels have had a recent refurb, and lots of other ''little mods''..and its mapped with a hybrid turbo. but bugger all that.

just look at it objectively, it's gorgeous! people genuinely stare at this car, some trying to work out what it is, as they are not common at all and I often get comments from people asking what it is, and from those in the know what a nice example it is.

its practical with a HUGE boot and the rear seats are usable if a bit difficult to access for some of my older relatives or taller friends..Scotland and back regularly to see my mum, and I always arrive fresh as a daisy with no aches or pains.

but none of this really matters,because whichever you choose it will be the one YOU prefer...

and finally no offence to the 147 owners,I know they all feel as strongly about their cars as I do about mine..as it should be.

good luck with your purchase, you are in for a fun and engaging drive either way..:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts