Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I recently got a 147 second hand, and I found a couple of weeks later the oil to be very low (below the min line) and topped it up. I've read a few comments on the forum about nasty things that will happen to the engine if the oil gets this low... is there anything I should check for now, or should I take it for a check at the garage?

The car had it's cambelt changed a few days before I filled up the oil, should the garage have checked the oil level while doing this work?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi. I recently got a 147 second hand, and I found a couple of weeks later the oil to be very low (below the min line) and topped it up. I've read a few comments on the forum about nasty things that will happen to the engine if the oil gets this low... is there anything I should check for now, or should I take it for a check at the garage?

The car had it's cambelt changed a few days before I filled up the oil, should the garage have checked the oil level while doing this work?
Hey... :( the damage really depends on how long it had been starved of oil and it is also something that is not necessarily noticeable straight away but their will be some evidence if you have the engine checked.... which is probably a good idea.

Also did you get a full service or just cambelt done? and who did that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also did you get a full service or just cambelt done? and who did that?
I had it checked over after buying it, and they said the cambelt required changing and the tyres, but they didn't mention the oil. It's not due a service for a while, and the last one by the previous owner wasn't that long ago (maybe 9 months, I'd have to check the sticker).

I took it to Brendon Motors in Wellington, who've always been really good at spotting potential problems before...

·
Registered
40,029 Posts
Alfa's really need the oil checking every week, leaving the oil to the garage at service time has been the cause of probably hundreds of engine failures.

If the oil pressure light came on because the level was low there is a good chance that damage has been done. The TS is known to burn up to 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles, and the fact that it is not very tolerant of low levels is not a good combination.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The real issue is how often had the previous owner allowed the oil level to drop below the min mark. If its a one time event and the car has not been hammered it will probably be ok. However if the previous owner had always run the car like this the engine life will have been shortened. As far as the garage is concerned, unless it was in for a full service it is unlikely they would have checked the oil. From my experience Stealers do as little as possible for as much money a possible. Independents seem to do the obvious checks as a matter of course.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yup Brendon motors in kndla is good and used them on other cars but i wouldn't let them touch my Alfa :D

get in the habit of checking your oil every week!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, i might give them a go. not that convienient though seeing as brendon is a 2 minute walk from my office.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts