Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my pipes are in good condition, just got a weep from the oil cooler.

what are my options? do alfa still sell this? anyone know how much?

is fitting just a case of taking the old one out and re-fitting? will the pipes/o rings be ok? its defiantly the oil cooler leaking not the pipes, they look fairly new.

G

·
0 Posts
Right ok not sure if this is still available you tried looking on eper for a part No..?
I think you can get oil coolers of eBay there is a store on there that does race parts think its a matter of knowing the size ie. the rows of core pipes.or the general dimensions. Pretty sure the fixing pipes are fairly standard fitment .

G

·
0 Posts
Just tried to get on the guide but its being stupid will try again in a bit pretty sure this cooler is the same as on my 24v 164 but I'll check ? Don't think there is any special refit things pretty sure it's self bleeding so to speak just a matter of filling running and keeping an eye on your oil level.

C

·
0 Posts
I think the radiator itself is shared with some fiat wiesels. Someone with access to eper should be able to confirm.

PN is 46830020

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Lots of us have fitted the uprated mocal oil coolers

G

·
0 Posts
I think the radiator itself is shared with some fiat wiesels. Someone with access to eper should be able to confirm.

PN is 46830020
The one listed for the GTA is 46520152 the other is for the diesel the last price listed on eper is
£202.37 incl vat

That's an impressive memory you have there chris ! I couldn't have remembered that.

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
The original oil cooler for the 147 GTA oil cooler is not the same 156 GTA, for anyone interested.

The problem with the original oil coolers is they are ally, and the original pipe ends are steel, so if you need to replace just the cooler or just the pipes, they often don't split easy and you find theres loads of galvanic corrosion preventing it from sealing again when it goes back together.

I probably have a good used oil cooler if you want one, but you'd be better off fitting the Mocal kit which replaced both the cooler and the front halves of the original oil pipes which are also prone to corrosion.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I've got the Mocal setup on mine now and the oil temperature doesn't even go past 2 bars on the trip computer and that's with heavy driving :)

Use this as an excuse to change the whole lot Beau :thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
This is what an old, corroded oil cooler & pipe ends look like if you blast away the corrosion, leaving just whats left of the good metal intact.

This wasn't even leaking, but can't have been far off bursting or blowing the pipe from the cooler. You can see where the cooler flanges have just dissolved away, and also the steel braid that holds the flexible rubber hose onto the metal end has half dissappeared.

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
The original oil cooler for the 147 GTA oil cooler is not the same 156 GTA, for anyone interested.

The problem with the original oil coolers is they are ally, and the original pipe ends are steel, so if you need to replace just the cooler or just the pipes, they often don't split easy and you find theres loads of galvanic corrosion preventing it from sealing again when it goes back together.

I probably have a good used oil cooler if you want one, but you'd be better off fitting the Mocal kit which replaced both the cooler and the front halves of the original oil pipes which are also prone to corrosion.
Thanks pud I did wonder but could not see a listing on eper for the 147.:eek:
Sorry guys:rolleyes:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The leak has stopped ? Very odd, all i have done is change the engine oil, and its not like its thicker oil or anything (5w40)

Will keep an eye on it!

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
You do know the GTA is spec'd for 10W60 right? I've always thought this was a little on the thick side and mine runs happily on 10W50 now. All the other 24v V6s were spec'd for 10W40 or 10W60 for 'sporting driving' so you'll probably be OK but if you do plan on giving it a spanking then maybe go for something a bit thicker.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You do know the GTA is spec'd for 10W60 right? I've always thought this was a little on the thick side and mine runs happily on 10W50 now. All the other 24v V6s were spec'd for 10W40 or 10W60 for 'sporting driving' so you'll probably be OK but if you do plan on giving it a spanking then maybe go for something a bit thicker.
Im flushing it through with the 5w40, iv 10 litres of Fuchs pro s 10w50 here waiting but thought I'd fix the oil cooler before changing again.

And for your info, the alfa service invoices say they used 5w40 anyway

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
I am using the Fuchs Pro S too, its seriously good stuff (previously marketed as Silkolene).

Totally doesn't surprise me that Alfa have put 5w40 in previously :lol:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Dan does that mean with the Mocal kit you mention the front half of the pipes are replaced, does that mean its an easier job to replace in comparison to the original alfa pipes where I think one runs to the back if the engine.

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
Dan does that mean with the Mocal kit you mention the front half of the pipes are replaced, does that mean its an easier job to replace in comparison to the original alfa pipes where I think one runs to the back if the engine.
Thats why we did it that way, so you don't have to mess around behind the engine. Takes about a third of the time to fit the Mocal kit. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts