Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
Just bought a 147 1.6 lusso, got it home broke down on a busy roundabout, engine cut out ECU lamp on...

Got it home suspected Flywheel sensor, alfadiaged it and confirmed Flywheel sensor...
Fitted new one today, cleared codes, start car gets to 15-1600 rev and ECU lamp on and fault code p0336 comes up again...

Any ideas, as the wife wont drive it till its sorted...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
its also crank sensor related.

was it an Alfa supplied Bosch sensor?

did you remove the old o-ring before fitting the ne wone?

did you get it fully back into place?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
crank/rpm/flywheel....3 names, one sensor

also meausre the resistance, should be approx 900 ohmns

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, there is a plastic spacer and a rubber 'o' ring, sorry to mislead you...

It has to be the way its been fitted or a fault part, the car starts and runs fine just i get the ECU fault code everytime it goes over 15-1600 rpm (once code is cleard)...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
P0337 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input
P0338 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit High Input
P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand what the codes mean and this is why i changed the Cranksensor, my question is why is the code repeating after a new sensor is fitted? could some else be a problem, could it be the i've not fitted it proper or is it a s**t sensor (bought from Alt autos)?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
afaik alt auto suppler Alfa spec'd parts, not spurious muck parts

possibly the sensor is not fully pushed in home, even though the bolt is tight its too far away from the flywheel

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Test the resistance, as SEARs suggested... If you've got access to an oscilloscope you could check the signal from it (should be square-ish wave, I'd guess)...

You *might* have got a dodgy one. I've got a couple of used spares from TS engines if you want to try 'em (and they fit, of course)...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
afaik alt auto suppler Alfa spec'd parts, not spurious muck parts

possibly the sensor is not fully pushed in home, even though the bolt is tight its too far away from the flywheel

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
There is a set gap when fitiing a crank sensor, and I suspect as SEARs has done that you have not removed the original O-ring when removing the original sensor (OR the car has had a sensor before and then it wasn't removed and you may have remove tn o-ring but not realised there was still one from before), I would suggest removing the sensor again and poking your finger in the hole to ensure there are no more obstrutions in the area, and refit the new sensor, test it and see what happens.

Alternatively, get another sensor and try that.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right checked hole no extra 'o' ring, refitted, still an issue.
checked resistance 1045ohms is this a little high? put car into gear and rocked back and fore resistance changes but doesnt go below 1000ohms...

help me wife is p***ed at car and wants shot already need to restore faith in the car...

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'll check mine later, and see what readings I get. It'll be later this evening though.

One other possibility - the sensor is magnetic, so if it's picked up anything metal while you've been fitting it (a bit of swarf or a washer or something) it'll be reading incorrectly.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i did think that iainfm i made sure it was clean. but i've have changed the fault not it kicks a fault up after 5400rpm now. i think its a fault sensor??? iain do you have a spare i could try, what are your terms?? PM me if suits?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
sounds to me thats its not FULLY pushed into the hole

1 - 20 of 32 Posts