Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just happened at carwash. They argued blankly that it was already like that, I wasn't recording it, so I just fucking left.

Is there a way to un-**** this or do I need to get a new one? It looks like its covered in some resiny goop, is it possible the previous owner wrecked and fixed it with something?

DSC_0422.JPG

DSC_0420.JPG

DSC_0419.JPG

Usually I was the car myself, but I felt lazy after work and figured, just a quick clean and dry will do til the weekend, never again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
There are some threads on the mirrors for the 147 here. Basically I think the surface corrodes and paint lifts off. The corrosion makes it hard or impossible for the mirror to fold in, which it should. Too much force, can make it break.

From the pictures it looks like corrosion, but it may be some sort of glue as you mentioned.

You will probably need a replacement. The colour shouldn't matter as you should be able to swap over the cover.

Either way take your mirror off and take it apart. See if you can do anything, but be prepared to buy a replacement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a replacement off ebay.

The mirror angle doesn't seem to go back far enough to show anything other than the side of the car. You can move the whole housing, but it doesn't lock into position. I've asked the seller if theres something wrong with the unit or if theres another type, but whatever, I'm "road legal" until I can get rid of it.

Maybe worth noting if you're considering getting a cheap knockoff over an OEM spare.

(So sad as I was about to dump another couple of grand into the car, but rust in the sills, bits falling off and now this, its just not worth it for a jtd).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update if you buy a cheap OEM instead of going through the dealer or trawling for a scrapper.

The third party manufactured knock offs are seemingly entirely built for the left hand drive. Putting one on a RHD results in the reflection angle being way too narrow (all you will see is your face and some of the side of your car).

Another thing, which is curious. The oem was only a 5 pin. I had thought this was a different type of connector, but seems it means the number of live pins in the connector. After fitting and doing a long drive, I noticed the air con was cold despite being set to 20 degrees. I cranked it to max and it got luke warm.

Finally found a wing mirror off a scrapper, heating back to normal. Now the mirror is heated, presumably during defrost, but why would it mess with the whole air con?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,106 Posts
The mirror on the driver's side has the temp probe sensor for the outside temperature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts