Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have recently bought a 147 2 litre Selespeed and I have started to get some serious problems with it.

Firstly there is a distinct lack of power top end. On the motorway the car will actually slow down if there is a slight incline when you have your foot flat to the floor. The engine also sounds pretty rough when you rev is stationary.

Secondly it is going through engine oil like there is no tomorrow. I have been having to top it up every week!!

The car itself has only done 45,000 miles and is in very good condition.
The only thing I can see wrong with it is the exhaust back box looks badly corroded so maybe I thought the lack of power could be down to exhaust probs.

If anyone has any ideas they would be gladly recieved...

·
Registered
96 Posts
sounds like you need a rebuild even at 45000 miles if an engine of any sorts was given a lot a stick it will wear in a short period of time

·
Registered
219 Posts
It has most likely run low on oil or none at all prior to you owning it, only that can be the likely cause of it runing through lots of oil and runing rough at only 45K, get it back to where you bought it from and ask some serious questions on it's service history and previous owner! Good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Could be more simple suff, MAF replacement for the power or lambda. One of the coils coul be playing up.
Oil use, how much are you having to top it up, have you notice pools of oil when you park it overnight?
Get it checked out by a decent mechanic.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Don't read too much into the corroded exhaust. Take a look at any 147 (particularly pre-facelift models) and the odds are you will see a rusty back box or at the very least a dull, stained example.

Apparently the designers felt that a rusty mild steel exhaust the size of a small semi-detached house hanging in full view just under the rear bumper would set-off the appearance of the car perfectly! :rant:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts