Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 147 2.0 TS warms up normally from a cold start but only gets up to 80C, no matter how long I drive for or at what speed the temperature never gets up to the full 90.

There is also some black smoke from the exhaust under acceleration and a lot of black carbon deposited on the exhaust. (It's a stainless exhaust that's only been installed for 2 months so this seems excessive to me).

In the old days I would have thought the engine was running rich, but with a modern engine I'm not sure and worried that it is something more complicated.

Any ideas what's causing this? Could it just be the thermostat?

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Your thermostat is stuck open. You need a new one.

Black smoke is caused by a rich fuel.... most alfas run rich anyway, but yours sounds excessive. It may need to be tweaked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's two separate problems? Typical I suppose.

Thank for the quick answer though.

Is it easy enough to replace the thermostat myself or should I get it done by a pro?

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
So it's two separate problems? Typical I suppose.

Thank for the quick answer though.

Is it easy enough to replace the thermostat myself or should I get it done by a pro?
Providing you have a decent kit of tools you can do it yourself. the problem you may have is reaching the bolts (2) that are generally obstructed by pipe work. You're mechanic should be able to do it in about 30 mins though.

The part isn't expensive.

The smoke is definitely not related though. You should be checking your oil level every week by the way. These twinsparks drink oil. :eek:

OA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the oil gets topped up every I fill up, I must be getting about 1000 miles to a litre of oil now. :(

Cheers for the advice, I'll just book it in and get both jobs done.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dunno 'bout the Alfa (yet), but most cars' ECU lets them run rich, when they are cold. If your thermostat is blown and the engine too cold for too long, the ECU will let it run rich.
Should have noticed a hike in fuel consumption as well.
Oil consumption can be due to running too rich, fuel gets washed down to the sump and then boils off again, degrading the oil, or it can be due to either worn valve stem seals or piston rings.
Worn out pistons or rings are rare nowadays I've been told, but valve stem seals are still a problem with many cars.

As I said, no specific experience with Alfas, but lots with other engines.

UglyGerman

·
Registered
Alfa Mito, 2010, 1.4NA, 6-speed
9,357 Posts
Worn out pistons or rings are rare nowadays I've been told, but valve stem seals are still a problem with many cars.
I had my engine rebuilt at 82K after a big-end failure. When the guys were taking her apart they noticed a fine scratch on #1 bore. When they investigated closer the rings has small cracks in them ... same with the other pistons. So I wouldn't discount the rings.

A new set of rings and glaze-busted bores and oil consumption was down to zero. Rebuilt engine now done 48K, uses no oil and I think it's running better than when new!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
A knackered 'stat would not allow it to reach 80. You rarely get 70degs.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Ah but the temp gauge is probably lying anyway. The "70" mark in mine is actually 80 according to AlfaDiag, the 90 mark is 94!!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
It's just the thermostat.
You're running cold which is overfueling.
The overfuelling is washing away the oil from the bores.
The engine is wearing out.
For such a cheap part I don't know why you wouldn't change it today!
There is no point in having a debate about the amount of 'coldness'

·
Registered
138 Posts
Funny enough, this morning driving to my lovely office the temp gauge went up to 90 as normal... :) when I have stopped the car awaiting for the traffic to move the temp gauge dropped down under 90 and then went again up to 90...and it stays there... should I be worried?

Thanks

Luke

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Funny enough, this morning driving to my lovely office the temp gauge went up to 90 as normal... :) when I have stopped the car awaiting for the traffic to move the temp gauge dropped down under 90 and then went again up to 90...and it stays there... should I be worried?

Thanks

Luke
Don't worry Luke that is exactly what it should do. :thumbs:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had my engine rebuilt at 82K after a big-end failure. When the guys were taking her apart they noticed a fine scratch on #1 bore. When they investigated closer the rings has small cracks in them ... same with the other pistons. So I wouldn't discount the rings.

A new set of rings and glaze-busted bores and oil consumption was down to zero. Rebuilt engine now done 48K, uses no oil and I think it's running better than when new!
:wow: :wow: :wow:
Yikes!
That is scary!
I've opened quite a lot of motorbike engines and I've seen a lot of pitted cams etc. but most of the time, apart from really, really, really bad abuse, the bores and piston liners were ok...

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
:wow: :wow: :wow:
Yikes!
That is scary!
I've opened quite a lot of motorbike engines and I've seen a lot of pitted cams etc. but most of the time, apart from really, really, really bad abuse, the bores and piston liners were ok...

Especially when you consider I've had the car from new, never let the oil drop low and change it regularly (Selenia 10W40) and never really thrashed the engine or redlined it ...

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
OK, drive home yesterday (20 miles, 17 on M40), connected to AlfaDiag all the way monitoring temp and never got above 80 until I stopped at lights after coming off motorway ... methinks stuffed thermostat :( Well it's a chance to update my how-to as well .... ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts