Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly hello to everybody, this is my first post on here and sadly it's not a happy one. Picked up my new 147 selespeed yesterday, drove it home about 40 miles, ok round town but noticed a whine when on the motorway, lift foot off gas and noise goes, back down and whine is back. Checked over the car when I got home and the dipstick for the auto fluid was bone dry. Just went to move the car outside the house and check manual for oil spec and the car will not start. Does initial check then on turn of the key all i get is warning beeps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
press the brake pedal or shift it into 'N'

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pat, how embarrassing, read through the manual last night and left it in frst as recommended. It wouldn't tap into neutral though. Had to start it with the brake on. Thank's again. :lol:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
we'll excuse you as you're previous car was a manual...... wasn't it??? :) :thumbs:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It certainly was. Just a quick one. Can I top up the transmission fluid with the Castrol Dexron III. The stick is bone dry and need to get the car to work/alfa tomorrow (a few miles apart)?
thanks.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
if the reservoir is very low & Dextron III is more freely available than Tutela CS then i'd say yes......

with the conditon that oyu should try drain out as much of the other oil as possible.

HOW DO I DRAIN THE SYSTEM YOU ASK?

under the battery tray, at the front of the actuator is a black flexible hose, approx 19mm in diameter. this is the low pressure/return pipe to the reservoir.

open the jubilee clip & catch the fluids in an oil tray.

then re-conenct the pipe & top up the reservoir.

in a week or so repeat the procedure to ensure there is more DxIII in the system

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
FYI: to check the selespeed oil its quite easy:

to the RIGHT side of the battery, looking into the engine bay, there is a red or black coloured cap between the battery & the wing

this is where the selespeed oil goes.

how to dip it?

1. open the driver door, allowing the pump to prime,

2. open the bonnet.

3. just as the pump stops then open the filler cap & read the dip stick, which is attached to the cap.

if less than the MAX mark fill it up to the MAX, not much more over it.

the ENTIRE system takes approx 600cc, so a top up could be as little as 50cc

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, got the oil, can't see much under the battery from above though. Got in the car at Halfords and got ABS system failure and VDC system failure warnings. Is it new battery time? I'm guessing it will be easier to get to the actuator(if I knew where it was) with the battery out. Do I need a oem battery or can I get one from Halfords?
What a stressful couple of days.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
the selespeed likes a battery with a high CCA ..... not quite diesel rating but almost.

if you have the battery out then removing the battry tray involves

2 10mm bolts to loosen the bracket holding a wiring loom
5 13mm bolts to loosen the tray & the bracket for the 20 pin connector at the side of the battery tray

you'll be able to see the return pipe then.

the actuator is the large silver unit on top of hte gearbox which has a 4" diameter black sphere attached it.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Ok, got the oil, can't see much under the battery from above though. Got in the car at Halfords and got ABS system failure and VDC system failure warnings. Is it new battery time? I'm guessing it will be easier to get to the actuator(if I knew where it was) with the battery out. Do I need a oem battery or can I get one from Halfords?
What a stressful couple of days.

before spending you doah check the + & - terminals for loose connection or corrosion

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
afaik you'll need at least a 600CCA type battery....

David C will correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts