Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 147 (1.6 120hp, 155000kms) for 2 months, and overall I really like the car, but I cant say the same for the gearbox and clutch feel. The shifter is a little vague, and I still cant make super smooth changes with the clutch, It feels like I have to try really hard to make a seamless gear change. The same happened on all the 147s I test drove before buying this one, so I don't believe something is really wrong with this one, but if something can be improved, I would like to do it.

My car had its big belt etc service at 120000kms 4 years ago, so it will have to get a timing kit and auxiliary belts very soon. Today I got my first auxiliary belt squeak, so keep that in mind. Also I get the diesel noise when starting up for 1-2 seconds, probably to be expected from the variator? After starting there are no more diesel noises.
The clutch was changed also at 120000kms, so there's probably a lot of life left on it. There's no slipping, the catch point is fine, all gears engage properly.

So the only problem is how difficult it is to make smooth gear changes on 1>2 and 2>3, even when rev matching. Nothing serious, but its the first car that I cant do perfect changes in. Also I noticed very small rattling noise when switching into 3rd in low RPMs. Many cars I have driven make the same noise if you are near stalling the car, but the 147 only makes it exactly after switching from 2nd to 3rd in low RPMs, and quite higher than the idle RPMs. If you try to stall the car while in 3rd, it doesn't make the noise.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Think it could be due to the fact that the gears are quite long, and it takes a bit more time to change gears, giving the engine time to drop back to 1000 RPMs. I have a 147 JTD, and have had it for a year next month (yay! :D), and sometimes my gear changes are as smooth as a sex-depraved teenage boy at a pool party. Quite embarassing sometimes, actually.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think it could be due to the fact that the gears are quite long, and it takes a bit more time to change gears, giving the engine time to drop back to 1000 RPMs. I have a 147 JTD, and have had it for a year next month (yay! :D), and sometimes my gear changes are as smooth as a sex-depraved teenage boy at a pool party. Quite embarassing sometimes, actually.
This might be the cause indeed, especially since the petrol version has the even longer 5 gear gearbox. It doesn't feel like something is wrong, it's just hard to shift 100% smoothly. Combined with the throttle-by-wire its also a little harder to rev match.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This might be the cause indeed, especially since the petrol version has the even longer 5 gear gearbox. It doesn't feel like something is wrong, it's just hard to shift 100% smoothly. Combined with the throttle-by-wire its also a little harder to rev match.
My downshifts are almost always smooth (I don't even rev-match, still gotta find the time and learn that) and my upshifts are sometimes ****ty. Could be I'm just a lousy driver.

I don't reckon it could be fixed, tho, other than perfecting it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My downshifts are almost always smooth (I don't even rev-match, still gotta find the time and learn that) and my upshifts are sometimes ****ty. Could be I'm just a lousy driver.

I don't reckon it could be fixed, tho, other than perfecting it.
Same here, perfect downshifts even when not revmatching, usually mediocre and sometimes bad upshifts. Probably the way its built then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts