Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive recently bought a 2004 147 1.9 Multijet and have been having an intemitent hot starting problem.

When switching on the ignition after a run, e.g. drive down to the shops i get the Imobilizer failure and VDC failure messages on the instrument panel.
There are dtcs in body computer and ABS modules that are serial/can comunications with engine ecu.
When its like this its also impossible to comunicate with the engine ecu, when its working there are no dtc's stored in the engine ecu.

It seems the ecu is not powering up, the main relay is switching fine and the main feeds are good to the ecu itself.
When the engine ecu is in this state it is very difficult to get it to power up but not impossible, i found the best way is to rapidly toggle the main relay either via the igntion switch or by pulling fuse or relay under the bonnet.

Once the engine ecu is on it it stays on, no amount of wiggling cables or tapping relays causes it to cut out which rules out a loose conection in my mind.
I have changed the battery and have tried the disconnect battery trick.

Has anyone come accross this before? or any ideas?
Anyone know how much an ecu costs for one of these? [edit] about £350 exchange £500 new

Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a wiring diagram, after a bit of a think i am very suspicious of a possible ignition switch failure being the root cause of this problem, has anyone heard of ignition switch failure before on a 147?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had a bad connection on the igntion barrel connector, Abit of cleaner sorted it. However i did not get any failure messages .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive changed my mind about the ignition switch, i tested the feed into the relay box from the ignition switch and its good even when the ems is playing up.
I need to trace the wiring back to the ecu i think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts