Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right the cars a 2.0L 147, theres not any noticable effect while driving but idling is a bit rough after a run, i've changed the spark plugs on cylindar 1 and 2 as they were full of oil in plug holes, also just done an oil change so its not that, the car has trouble starting up now aswell where it never used to.
I'm reluctant to spend anymore now without having a good idea it'll resolve the issue as so far nothing seems to have cured it, I run fiatecu and its coming up with error 300 and 301 cylindar 1 missfire and general missfire.

Any ideas ?
thanks in advance all :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
earth from coil packs i'm guessing as the small one that connects on the nut when you remove leads/coil packs to look at plugs if so yes.

which part exactly is the coil pack ?

and i'm guessing 4 seperate units or only 1 ?

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Coil pack comes as a complete unit.
You definetly don't want to buy a new one... There a bit pricey.

Best to find out exactly what is happening with the misfire rather than replace a complete pack.

You should be able to buy single HT coil pack and leads. The complete pack is hideously over priced.

If the spark plugs are full of oil you would be best to buy a new rocker cover gasket also. Since that is clearly leaking into the spark plug wells.

As an interim solution you can buy some Holymer Blue instant gasket seal to seal around the gasket as a tempory fix.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi scotty an thanks for response, i'm pretty sure I can hold my hands up an take the blame for oil in plug wells, I wasn't using a funnel an may have had some overspill, i'll try the coilpack as I have 2 147's so can switch bits from one to other, i'm guessing the complete coil pack is the metal plate with ht leads attached then ?

and is there anyway of changing one at a time or is it pack for pack ?

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Hello Chris,
The complete pack includes the metal strip with the 8 HT leads and connectors.

You can swap each pair around to try find a fauly coild pack. IE Move Cylinder ones coild pack over to cylinder 4. Fire up the car and read the codes to see if you get the miss fire on cylinder 4.

If you dont get the same misfire on the swapped coil pack you know the problem is else where.

I personally don't believe coil pack's go that much on cars any more.
I beleive they have a pretty long service life in modern cars and are of a much higher quality than those manufactures 20 years ago.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Scotty ill give it a go on weekend, I've had one go before on a 206 but was a lot rougher and fuel consumption went through the roof which I don't have on the alfa so I'm not sure but going it is as easy fix lol

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Cheers Scotty ill give it a go on weekend, I've had one go before on a 206 but was a lot rougher and fuel consumption went through the roof which I don't have on the alfa so I'm not sure but going it is as easy fix lol
You dont need a full set of coils just one and there are loads on ebay or you local alfa scrapper for about £10 just to fault things. A coil from a CF2 or 3 will do.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Aside from the other possible causes mentioned... Water in the wells can also cause a miss fire.
Also check that eack pack is in proper contract with each plug and that the connection to each pack is good.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Aside from the other possible causes mentioned... Water in the wells can also cause a miss fire.
Also check that eack pack is in proper contract with each plug and that the connection to each pack is good.
As mentioned above water/oil was found and removed, oil/water in the plug wells is a coil killer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The contact on coil pack 1's ht lead was a bit dodgy and had traces of oil on it ill swap coil packs over on weekend and see if that throws up different cylinder missfires on fiat ecu, thanks for the help all :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update changed coil pack with no improvement now diagnosed as a valve (no compression) in cylinder 1 a couple of questions here is it a big job and can access be gained without removing belts or do they have to come off and what's a rough price at a garage for work to be done ? Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Belts and camshaft need to come out really.
So it would be at least the price of the cambelt labour. So my guesstimation would be around the £300 mark if you apy to have the belts changed too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update changed coil pack with no improvement now diagnosed as a valve (no compression) in cylinder 1 a couple of questions here is it a big job and can access be gained without removing belts or do they have to come off and what's a rough price at a garage for work to be done ? Thanks in advance for any info

1 - 17 of 17 Posts