Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, happy new year,.......... and help!
147 Selespeed suddenly sounds likes it's miss firing (since last week). I managed to replace 7 spark plugs as a first step (parts store didn't have eight to hand), and was hoping that would solve my problem.
However the car still sounds like a diesel truck .
I will be replacing the eighth plug, but not confident that it'll make much difference - so I'm hoping one of you can point me in the direction of a next step.
The engine cuts out periodically which is quite alarming if you are at a T junction, as the car just free wheels under no control to a stop.:wow:
I did get a key code message briefly 'key uncoded'.
took the car to my local garage which is usually very effective, but his diagnostics didn't show anything - even a missfire.
any thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unplug each of the coil packs 1 by 1 and see if the engine misfires anymore than it is now. The one that doesn't make any difference is the dodgy 1 and it will probably be the coil pack. I had that problem with my 2.0 TS

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
misfires can be fueling as well as ignition .......what was colour of spark plugs ..where they all same colour and what colour

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks to both of you. i've manged to get the 8th plug tonight so I'll get it changed and have a look at colour tomorrow.I bought the correct plugs 4xNGK BKR6EKPA, AND 4XNGK PMR7A. Forgot to mention that the key code sign and something about immobiliser flashes up at the same time as the engine cuts out - and that all of this usually happens just as I'm slowing to a halt (either stopping to park or for example at a road junction or roundabout- very scary if there's a car close behind your rear end!)
I ran Alfa Diag and it shows fault code P0300(random misfires, with codes 02 / 03 / 04, which I understand to be misfires in cylinders 2 /3 and 4)
Lastly, don't know if there is any significance, but I've been driving without 3rd gear for 18 months (I usually get it up to 3000 revs in 2nd then take it straight into 4th.
To Fogg - I haven't tried the coils yet as I decided to get the spark plugs all in first.
PS> how the heck do I get out of the newbie page and on to technical - sorry my computer literacy is at the same level as car electronics skills

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
On some of the older cars I've owned, stalling when slowing for a corner or lights etc, turned out to be a vaccum issue, you haven't got a faulty idle valve or something?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everybody. I'm going down the line with all suggestions received. But also intend to book in for an Alfa diagnostics check at an authorised service centre in the hope they can save me a lot of time searching for causes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks again everybody. As I was getting a bit frazzled with the missfire, I booked into Western Alfa Edinburgh. It turned out to be camshaft variator advance solenoid plunger seized. They cleaned and refitted it, so I'm back on the road. They think it will need replaced so I'll have to save pennies for £471. Unfortunately I don't have premises do be doing stuff myself. Also it's been so long since I did major repairs that me hands are all soft and uncalloused! Anyway hats off to Western who were very good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts