Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
and as linked in that link (!) there may be an unused big grommet under the window behind the glovebox. access it by removing the plastic scuttle/trim around the windscreen wipers.

:)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well. I made a start on the install today in the snow. Go the doo card off, and i had decided to use the existing wiring from the head unit to the door. This way its less fiddling about. So i have bought some front door speaker adaptor rings for the Kenwood Dual Mag component speakers. I have used the original tweeter, as it fits so well. All wired in and fitted in about an hour.

I have also purchased a refurbished Vibe Slick 12" sub with enclosure to go in the boot till the summer, when i will build a proper fitting enclosure. Its as good as new to be honest. There is a company on Ebay who reside in the Vibe factory in the uk, and have permission to repair and resell the second grade items.

I also have a nice Kenwood 4 way amp to go in. So i don know wether to hide it, ir build something to show it off. ??

Anyway, if anyone is interested, i will try and take some pics as i go. Once the fronts and the sub are done, then i will do the rears.

·
7,713 Posts
pics would be good to see.

use the kenwood tweeters, not the factory ones. the kenwood components are a matched set, so the tweeter and crossover are designed such that the tweeter will blend in with the woofer via the designed highpass filter, and be of appropriate sensitivity, power handling, impedence, and frequency handling.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics would be good to see.

use the kenwood tweeters, not the factory ones. the kenwood components are a matched set, so the tweeter and crossover are designed such that the tweeter will blend in with the woofer via the designed highpass filter, and be of appropriate sensitivity, power handling, impedence, and frequency handling.

I actually owned these speakers from new. I then sold them to a pal, and have bought them back.

Unfortunately the Tweeters were lost by my pal. So im in the process of looking for some replacements, but at the moment then oem,s will have to do. :)

Wont be doing it today, as theres still too much snow. At least yesterday the sun was beaming. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, i braved the cold today to get some more done. Mainly the wiring. I used the info from the start of this thread about the grommet located under the scuttle panel at the base of the windscreen Aparently not all cars have it, but thank god mine did.

Then came the routing of the power cable through the grommet and under the dash. Along the passenger sill trim. This is pretty easy to remove, one screw at the front, and one in the rear foolwell. It does require the removal of the seatbelt mounting to get to the screw head.

Next comes the routing of the power cable, quad RCA lead, Remote lead and four speaker cables. It sounds alot, but it saves alot of carving up the car. This will be explained in a minute. It looks crowdeed, but theres plenty of room for the cables under the sill trim. I decided to cable tie it all together to keep it tidier.

The cables were then routed into the boot. A bit of extra lenght that will be trimmed later. To make it easier, i unbolted the seats via two allen head bolts. One on the N/S and the centre one. The completeley removed this section of the rear lower seat. The cables were tidied before the seat went back.

Then the Sill trim was replaced and you would never know all those cables were under there.

This is what i was facing at the front end now. Because my headunit is a media player, IE no cd drive. I can have two ipods connected with a boot changer if i wish. But i use a usb stick and an Ipod. This is part of the reason there are so many wires. Now heres the clever bit i mentioned earlier. When i purchased the adaptor rings for the speakers, i also got an ISO socket lead for the speaker connectors already in the car. I soldered my new Speaker cables from the amp to the plug leads, and this means i dont have to replace all the origional wiring to the speakers. Its more than man enough for most speaker systems to be honest. And it keeps it all tidy.

This is my amp. Its a Kenwood KAC 848. Its 80w per channel, and 220 w bridged. Seeing as im only having the front speakers wired up for now, its fine. The sub is bridged on the other two channels. Ive had one of these before, and its an awesome amp. £20 from ebay. :) All the power cables are terminated in gold plated rings, and soldered to keep everything in tip top condition.

Now came the bargain Sub. I got it again from ebay. There is a bunch of guys there who repair returned and rejected Vibe Stuff, in the factory. They have permission to sell it off. I cantacted them about it, and they said the box was tatty, but the speaker was a brand new one. They were not lying. Although the box looks new to me too. £30+£8 P+P. Compared to £100 from Halfrauds. That will do nicely. And its awesome. I highly recommend them. Now i know some of you will say, dont put the amp on the sub box, but i have more plans for the future, and this keeps it tidy for now. For £20 im willing to take the risk of it packing up.

At last were getting somewhere. I had to connect the Power somewhere, so i decided to use the redundant power post in this fusebox. An 8mm Nyloc nut from my collection, will ensure it doesnt come loose. And i means no power spikes to the compononts, and it comes straight from the + terminal. Again, this will be tidied better on a nice warm day. :)

Nearing the end of today now. Ive put everything back as it was, and gave it a test run. Bloomin awesome, and i still have to put my other component speaker in the passenger door. To be honest, the OEM is coupled to the amp at the moment, and sounds fine. Doesnt distort or anything. If i hadnt started changing the drivers speaker before today, i would have considered leaving them in.

Well. Thats probably it for this week. Im in doors now enjoying a nice beer. I was bloomin freezing all day, but wanted to get it done. I hope this helps someone out who is thinking of doing the same as me. In the summer, you will hopefully see the custom enclosure made and fitted, and a better mount for the amp. :)

·
7,713 Posts
good work. :)

i presume the subbox has been properly secured, and the wiring/fuseholder in the engine bay (if not, do it!).

enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts