Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing the clutch i took the car out and after a mile there was a slight clunk then it lost all drive, it goes into gear but then nothing, It's an 05 147 jtd so, At your best guess, what have i done wrong ?
Gearbox out again job ?
If i put in into 2nd and release clutch there's a slight grinding/rattle/ type noise ..
I was so chuffed aswell to have done my 1st clutch and it looks like i'll be doing it again ..

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
with the car running do you need to press the clutch to get it in gear. if yes is it a full press of clutch peddle or a slight press.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the car running i can easily push the gearstick into 1 and 2 but have to press the clutch for the rest, without there's a crunch, And to get the rest of the gears you have to press it 3/4's the way down
When it's in gear and the clutch is let out there's something spinning and i can hear grinding/rattle ..

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
was it a new DMF as well if yes. Could it be possible you put the clutch plate in the wrong way round.. also is it an internal slave cylinder or external . if external did you place the thrust bearing on the fork and slip gearbox on the engine or put it on the pressure plate and pushed gearbox on.

But in all i cant think of a reason why it would do as you say without there being a problem inside so i think the gearbox has to come off again, unless someone else pops up and comes up with an idea

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No new Dmf
New slave cylinder which is external.
Fork slipped into thrust bearing, gearbox pushed into position then fork turned opposite way to lock thrust bearing into place.
Went all through the gears perfectly untill the clunk then no drive.
The brake fluid reservoir is still at the level i filled it too

Yes it's possible i could of put the plate in the wrong way round, Give me 5mins and i'll upload a picture and tell me if its the front or back

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I cant tell by the pic as im used to petrol clutches but it should be the side that sticks out the least goes flywheel side.

Sorry about my crap drawing :biglaugh:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right well that's my problem then, The previous picture is the side which sticks out the most and ive put that against the flywheel.
So that's what's wrong ... Bloody Hell ... :furious::biglaugh::censored::thumbup:

Mate, I cant thank you enough for taking the time to reply n help me, i thought im looking at a new gearbox ?!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
No problem fella . here is a pic of mine with a label on that say's fly wheel side and the other side sticks out more

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's made no difference :depressed:
Ive turned the clutch plate around and there's still no drive.
The slave has been bled and the clutch pedel has some bit and is normal.
With the engine running you can push it into any gear and when its in a gear there's a faint squeak/squeal sound ..

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
You work fast.

With the gearbox off the car, were you able to turn the input shaft and see the gearbox output flanges turn?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt check, i just took the box off undid and turned the clutch plate and threw it back together, I just finished do it and rather deflated that it still isnt working ...
That's twice now so I'm going to have a break and go n cut the hedge so i'll reply later on but please, any help would be gratefully recieved.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Current thoughts are differential failure or internal gearbox failure.

I don't want to worry you but a mates car had the friction plate fitted the wrong way round and ended up needing a new gearbox. Fortunately as it was fitted by a garage they were liable and had to pay for the new box.

Get the box out and test it on the bench. remove the diff completely so that you can see the output gear and turn the input shaft by hand, change into all gears and observe that the output gear is moving. then check to ensure the diff is still complete, no broken planet gears etc.

I am assuming that when you removed the clutch the 2nd time you unclipped the release bearing and re seated it on the fork?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not too worried about a broken gearbox as i have a spare off a jtd 156 although it's only a 5 speed, I'm assuming it will fit ?
Yes the bearing was unclipped and reseated on the forks then clipped into place ..
I'll go and get the box out so will report back later, Again many thanks for the reply :thumbup::thumbup:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's nothing wrong with it, the diff has no chunks out and spins as it should as well as the shaft in the gearbox ... So now what ?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Any obvious/not so obvious faults with the components you have removed? Splines, flywheel etc etc.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The diif is good with no teeth chipped or missing and is working as it should.
When i turn the shaft in the gearbox it turns the cogg ( not a mechanic so unsure of their proper names/terms) and that also has no teeth chipped or missing,
The only thing i can see is that the the fork has a groove, a fresh clean metal groove which once my phone charges i'll take a picture but, when i resetted the release bearing i heard and felt it click into place so that groove couldnt be the problem could it ?

As we're all friends and I'm desperate for your help I'll tell you something about the car, I bought it from a young lad who said it needed a new gearbox and as i have a spare off a 156 i bought the car. When i removed the gearbox for the 1st time the release clutch bearing was rusty and broke so my initial thought was the bearing was the fault and fitted a new bearing n clutch i had off this spare 156 engine i have and all was well for the 1st 3/4 of a mile test run untill i came to a hill and then lost drive and you know the rest ...
So i have a spare jtd 156 box but only a 5 speed so am tempted to fit that tomorrow but Ideally id like to fit this original box . Oh and 1 other thing, this 'faulty' box has a tin plate rivvited to it saying its an Alfa reconditioned box ..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts