Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I know there's tonnes of stuff on here about the common Alfa niggles and I know oil loss can be one.. It seemed that my sump plug on my 147 2.0 lusso had worn so I was getting drops on the driveway right above the sump. Now my problem is, after the oil pressure light came on and I left the car parked on my drive for two days there are about 100 drips all down the drivers side, even up to the back tire. I can't understand why it would be dropping like this? Would there be pressure in the sump that would cause it to spray in this way? It's definitely oil. And the under side of her is a mess :'( covered in oil. I've ordered a replacement sump plug to swap out but should I be looking at other causes? I don't want to take her in to get fixed unless I absolutely have to. Sorry I rambled. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
It's difficult to find oil leaks because it tends to spread everywhere while driving and then drip when you stop. However, the oil should only go down and towards the back of the car. I'd be surprised if it was just your sump plug washer. Clean around the plug, turn your engine on then observe. Make sure there is oil in the engine first!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I can't speak for the quantity leaking but ref the sump plug you will probably find that the previous owner has over tightened the plug and damaged the threads in the sump. The last few mm of the normal sump plug are machined off so if you find one that has threads in this area you might be able to get it to bite and seal but be VERY careful. Another way is two copper washers but note that the standard Alfa washer is now alloy with a rubber seal so two of those are unlikely to work.

A proper repair is either:-

New sump
Helicoil
Drill and tap larger thread.

You might be lucky and if is just a damaged sealing washer but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Wasn't aware of sump plug issue. PTFE thread tape might work. Hopefully it is the plug as there are plenty of more difficult places to fix leaks from.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Yes but using two washers also means you just bite the last bit of good thread in the sump.

I also thought about PTFEtape but haven't tried it yet. My favoured permanent repair is redrill (grease on drill bit and drill low speed) and retap the sump. Then flush straight through with oil to wash out any small ally particles.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Annoying fault caused by heavy hands presumably. Anyone know the torque for a sump plug. Always replace with new washer as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did my oil the other day and found a few places listing 22nm for the sump plug; that's what I've done it up to.

The last garage who did the oil had over tightened it massively; took a 3' breaker bar to get the plug out!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Did my oil the other day and found a few places listing 22nm for the sump plug; that's what I've done it up to.

The last garage who did the oil had over tightened it massively; took a 3' breaker bar to get the plug out!
Oil down drivers side could be due to leak at oil cooler/pipes-located ahead of drivers side front wheel. Not familiar with your engine so apologies if your spec is different from the 1.9 jtd

·
Registered
842 Posts
Oil down drivers side could be due to leak at oil cooler/pipes-located ahead of drivers side front wheel. Not familiar with your engine so apologies if your spec is different from the 1.9 jtd
The twinnies don't have an oil cooler in that location. The heat exchanger is part of the oil filter mounting.

·
Registered
38,288 Posts
Check the sump isnt cracked the oil filter is tight and that there are no leaks where the sump joins the block. It could also be the cam cover gasket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, I got her up on a ramp FINALLY and it was only the flaming oil filter! Was looking for something else. That's the luckiest I've ever been with my car troubles, especially as I had a replacement in the boot. Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts