Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little help please. A while ago my Sat Nav plug fell apart in the lighter socket leaving a few inner metally bits in the socket. I got them out, but now the socket does not work with anything (though the light is on). I checked the fuse under the dash which looked fine, but I changed it anyway, still nothing. I wonder if something has burned out/shorted somewhere. Any ideas what and where? Thanks.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Put away gear stick leather with the chrome around (squeeze slightly and pull out) and disconnect the 3 pin connector under the socket. Than you can measure wit a multimeter if there is power in the connector. 3 pins are gnd, ignition switched +12V and lights switched +12V. If there is power in the cable, your Cigarette lighter is burned or short circuit somewhere any you need to replace it. If there is no power in the cable (with ignition and lights on) go back to the fuse and check there again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I'll test that out.

I have been looking on a parts/diagnostics cd rom I got from ebay, it says that there is a relay as well as a fuse under the dash, so I'll check both. Also the socket itself has an overload protection device in it which burns out for safety; if this has happened I have to replace the socket with a new one. Also it says to get the socket out without breaking it I need a special Alfa tool. I will see if it is burned out first and only break it if I am replacing it. Annoying. I wonder if there is a way to solder / reset the safety cut out?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts