Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
you all know i tried to find a fix for the "legendry" 147 problem with the hanging handbrake cable.
well today i was in the garage and happened to be looking at the alfa (what else is new wink ) and thought about this damn cable. took a look underneath and i found the clip bent, so the cable was much lower than it should be, thus VERY visible from behind. so i had to find a better fix than the original clip

anyway, i ended up stripping a piece of "high" gauge copper wire from its rubber insulation and tieing the cable to the exhaust pipe. as can be seen....

hope it could help someone... :rolleyes:

DIY-cheese,

Patrick [ wink @ Ant]

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stori:
<strong>If you keep doing this, your car will be held together by wire :D </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">better then by Duck tape :D :D
Or by staples, as they are "off factory" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Patrick, check that the cable is not getting too hot from the exhaust's temperature, that copper wire transfers the heat easy.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong>Patrick, check that the cable is not getting too hot from the exhaust's temperature, that copper wire transfers the heat easy.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">good point Jomor, i'll check that
however i dont think it should be a problem, because 1) the wire is not very big so the contact area is small, thus heat conduction is minimal. 2) the handbrake cable is covered in aluminium sheating as can be seen. so the copper wire is not really touching the rubber covering of the cable, so i dont think it would melt it or cause any problems. anyway, will let you know if it does :D

will have to check if its getting too hot because of the exhaust though... i hope it's not TOO close to the exhaust :rolleyes: (i didnt take any chances and pulled it up a bit too much, maybe wink

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Banflu:
<strong> the handbrake cable is covered in aluminium sheating </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Then there shouldnt be any heating problem, i m just over-reacting sometimes wink

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Banflu:
<strong>DIY-cheese,

Patrick [ wink @ Ant]</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're learning fast, aren't you? wink

BTW, how come your signature says DYI instead of DIY?

DIY cheese too,

Ant

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wimster:
[QBbetter then by Duck tape :D :D
[QB]<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">:mad: wink

Anywayz: my dealer fixed it for me during my last service, dunno how though :rolleyes:

Perhaps I will check this during the next meeting :cool:

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Antonio Chico:
<strong>
Originally posted by Banflu:
[qb]
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LoL! :D you should ask Mel for that wink

of course, i wouldnt dare change it! his creation was as it is (DYI), so who am i to change it? wink

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Antonio Chico:
<strong>
Originally posted by Banflu:
[qb]
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LoL! :D you should ask Mel for that wink

of course, i wouldnt dare change it! his creation was as it is (DYI), so who am i to change it? wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I thought it was "Do yourself installation", but that sounds like something only a Chinese would say... Any idea on this Deng?? :D

Chinese cheese,

Ant

1 - 10 of 10 Posts