Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Alfa is 3 .5 years old and has only 67000 kms on the clock. Last month I started the car and depressed the cluch enged first gear and while waiting for passengers to climb in it felt like the cluch was engaging and as I had my foot on the brake it stalled. When I took my foot off the cluth it stayed on the floor board. After a bit of cursing I pulled the pedal up with my hand and low and behold it was normal. It was a little soft but it worked. I travelled over 300 kilometers in that week without trouble but have recently felt that the clutch was losing pressure again so I simply slip the car into neutral pump the clutch and off I go. This afternoon the clutch stayed down again. I flipped it back up with my tow and off I went again. I have been told I need to service the master cylinder only to be told that master cylinders are not serviced, they are simply replaced. Is this right and has anyone had a similar problem?:confused:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Mine did, also had the annoying clutch squeak, biting point was near the floor and clutch was slack.

I'd try and bleed the system first, then replace the master cylinder if it persists.

The one on my car was a moulded plastic job, and cost about £45, I didn't see how it could be serviced

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be taking car for new tyres tomorrow so I shall do a detailed check for leaks even though reservoir is at correct level. I have been told that a flush might sort out the problem. It will also give me an idea how much work I would be in for if I decide to do it myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Alfa is 3 .5 years old and has only 67000 kms on the clock. Last month I started the car and depressed the cluch enged first gear and while waiting for passengers to climb in it felt like the cluch was engaging and as I had my foot on the brake it stalled. When I took my foot off the cluth it stayed on the floor board. After a bit of cursing I pulled the pedal up with my hand and low and behold it was normal. It was a little soft but it worked. I travelled over 300 kilometers in that week without trouble but have recently felt that the clutch was losing pressure again so I simply slip the car into neutral pump the clutch and off I go. This afternoon the clutch stayed down again. I flipped it back up with my tow and off I went again. I have been told I need to service the master cylinder only to be told that master cylinders are not serviced, they are simply replaced. Is this right and has anyone had a similar problem?:confused:
Probably slave clutch cylinder is leaking, but could be even fauly master cylinder (lok for oil around cylinders, and check brake oil level).

Bleeding would help because it you would get rid of air in system, but if cylinder is faulty, problem will come back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took my car to my local mechanic and he stuck his hand into the engine and puuled it out with brake fluid on his fingers. Identified the clutch slave cylinder as the problem and he whipped it out and sent it to a local engineering works for refurb. He is busy flushing the entire clutch and brake system at the moment to ensure there is only synthetic fluid in the system. Manual says if mineral fluid is used it will damage seals. I am just wondering if the dealers put it in when they changed brakes about 6 months ago. How long would it take for the seals to perish? 'Hey buddy, your master and slave cylinders have packed up. New ones all round for a nice profit.' After all the trouble my son has had with his 3.2 GT I have my doubts about dealerships.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
seals do fail........id seriously doubt that anyone would put wrong fluid in as that could lead to total brake fail and a murder charge!!!

my £5 is on it been normal wear and tear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts