Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I must say I do love my 55 plate 147 JTDM Lusso. A fun and involving drive and not as boring to drive as other modern cars. This does come at a price though it seems -
I have had the top wishbone arms replaced a few months ago to stop the horrendous creaking that was coming from under the bonnet. This was done at 55,000 miles, a job well done by H R Owen in London. Great my car stopped sounding like an old pram when traversing my local speed bump jungle.

Also this car ruins tyres! The wear rate is quite ridiculous. The inside walls of the tyres wear on the front heavily, due to the cars setup. It has not been modified and is setup to factory standards, but still goes through tyres quicker than any other car I have owned.

Now just today I was driving and tried to change gear, it went into neutral and then would not go back into gear. I have had this intermittent notchy/sticky issue at the bottom of the pedal for about 20,000 miles. Now the broken clutch seems to bite only slightly at the bottom of the pedal, but not enough to shift properly. Looks like a new clutch slave/master cylinder. Well I hope it is that, I will not be happy if I have to buy a new clutch. Mind you a colleague of mine had a new clutch on his Audi A4 diesel at similar mileage. Hate it when your smug mates say “I told you not to buy an Alfa”. Modern cars are all as bad as each other; they just don’t make them to last anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nightmare, not the slave cylinder, but instead the clutch release bearing collapsed. So therefore a new clutch was needed. The cylinder job would have been around £150, but now it has turned into a job of over £700!
The job was completed by AMC in Chelmsford, who i must say eased the situation by being extremely helpful and effiecient. The clutch now feels better than it ever has done.
My advice though is that if your clutch starts to feel heavy at times and a bit "lumpy" at the bottom of the pedal, hassle the dealer to replace the clutch if it is in warranty. I have driven a lot of cars for 10 years on business mileage and would say the the clutches on these cars are very weak and unreliable. The car it seems is designed to wear terribly. Tyres, suspension and clutch all struggle to stay alive on this 150bhp rocket.
Still, when i got the car back and started driving it again, you remember the pleasure you get from owning these cars. The costs are high, but the experience is worth it.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Welcome to AO.
That sounds interesting, my clutch pedal has a knotchy feel to it about halfway down as if you are pushing past something, also get a shudder now & then off the plate, best get it checked out me thinks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts