Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just bought a 55 reg 147 with 21k miles on clock; no service history. When I test drove it the engine sounded a bit rough, almost like mis-firing. Anyway, the garage said they'd sort it and I had an AA inspection which said All OK.

When I picked it up on Tuesday it sounded fine, very throaty but then as a JTD virgin I assumed that was normal. However, on the way back my wife in following car said 'black cloud' when I accelerated.

Yesterday I drove it and saw the same cloud of black smoke when I pulled away cold but also when booting it from low revs when warm.

Our other car is a Toyota diesel (hers, not mine!!) and it runs as sweet as a nut with no smoke, so I'm concerned. Other threads on here discuss grey or white smoke, but this is definitely black.

Help please!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Black smoke - if significant - is normally a sign of running with too much fuel for the available oxygen. This is generally because of the exhaust gas recirculation. If you are trickling along there is likely to be a high level of EGR for emissions, but this means not a lot of oxygen. Then you boot it, dump a load of fuel in the cylinder, and there is not enough oxygen to fully combust this.

If the black smoke lasts for more than one big puff then it might be a sticking EGR valve - but you would also notice poor acceleration as you don't have enough oxygen to burn the fuel properly.

Hope that is of some help?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yeah my JTD does it too. Was worried but seems to be a common thing with most diesels I see around today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bigmacnchips

So it's not terminal then??? Thank gawd for that, thought I might have bought a duff'un.

Sounds about right, it's when I boot it that it happens. Is there any adjustment needed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joss.

The turbo diesel Yaris is very nippy (oops!) but no smoke when I boot that. Perhaps it's the Alfa engine??

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Many many diesels do this when booting it from low or medium load. The thing to look out for is if it continues for more than a second while the electronics and actuators catch up with what your right foot is doing!

Ideally it would not happen - and cars with DPF should catch the majority of this puff, but it is just all in the way the car dynamically responds to a shove of the loud pedal. It is either this or that the injectors wait for the EGR valve to open before throwing in all the extra fuel, which will lead to even more delay between pressing the pedal and actually getting some forward motion! :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Try cleaning the EGR valve, you will probably find its full of black soot, once you clean it out, youl find that the car shouldnt smoke as much and the car will perform better. You can also use an injector cleaner, I use wynns and put a bottle in my tank every 5th time I fill up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try cleaning the valve if I can find it :)

The injector cleaner sounds a no brainer, so I should manage that!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi

Just bought a 55 reg 147 with 21k miles on clock; no service history. When I test drove it the engine sounded a bit rough, almost like mis-firing. Anyway, the garage said they'd sort it and I had an AA inspection which said All OK.

Help please!!
I'm beginning to wonder about AA inspections. I had one done on my 147 a couple of months ago and they missed the fact that the head gasket was on it's way out. There were warning signs all over the car which a little independant garage noticed immediately.

I phoned the AA to complain and it transpires they don't actually do the inspections themselves. They sub contract the work out to a company called Dekra!

You pay top dollar for a first class inspection, and at the end of the day any old grease monkey can be doing the work

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Put a full tank of BP Ultimate Diesel in the Car, then go for a nice long drive, should clean out any crap you have in the Engine, THEN carry on using BP Ultimate when you fill up. I've been using it, ever since I bought this 147 Ti new, and it has been brilliant all round !!!!.......:thumbs:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Check the pipe from the turbo going into the throttle body. If this has a split (common and sometimes difficult to see) it will give black smoke on acceleration. Probably most common cause. Around £40 and easy to fit.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
BTW......

Forgot to mention, the only time I had loads of black smoke coming out of the exhaust, was when I put Sainsbury's " City Diesel " in the Car last Year, when BP Ultimate got TOO expensive !!!!!......:eek:

Hope that helps !!!!......:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
BTW......

Forgot to mention, the only time I had loads of black smoke coming out of the exhaust, was when I put Sainsbury's " City Diesel " in the Car last Year, when BP Ultimate got TOO expensive !!!!!......:eek:

Hope that helps !!!!......:thumbs:
+1 on that. BP Ultimate all the way

1 - 14 of 14 Posts