Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having had various cars over the years, my last was a Bora GT TDI 150 and thought i'd go for an Alfa 147 JTD M-Jet Lusso, its a 1 owner car with 77k and I managed to get 10 miles from the garage before the Motor Control Failure light came on, took it back, fixed after a few days and as they were driving it to me it went again! Garage then took it to Alfa Aid and its now had £261 of their treatment and drives well.

Getting used to the quirks, Airbag light came on when i moved the seat annoyingly and front suspension makes quite a noise going over speed bumps etc..., dread to think what that is, but apart from that (and the fact I think the clutch may soon need replacing) I actually love it!! Taking it to P-Torque on Tuesday to get it remapped properly on the rolling road.

Yep although its already had more go wrong than my last few cars put together I love it and am happy to get things sorted as they crop up!

Any help and advice welcome.

Pete
(daave77)

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
Hello. and welcome to AO :)
If your clutch is slipping use your remap money to get it fixed, cos the increase in torque will just kill it quicker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello. and welcome to AO :)
If your clutch is slipping use your remap money to get it fixed, cos the increase in torque will just kill it quicker.

Thanks Alfacool,
Just what happened in my Bora funnily enough! Its not slipping in the 147 yet, but the biting points seems very high and by the look of the receipts its the original clutch with 77k on it so think its on the tail end of its life-, got money set aside for both though, get the feeling i'm going to need a bit of a financial cushion with her generally!:lol:

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Welcome in, you'll love it in here:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Enjoy her ;)

welcome to AO

noise on speed bumps will be, upper wishbones it the right age for that.

They are prone to drying out with the salt etc :(

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
sounds more like drop links to me, there more common, and cheaper:lol:

welcome to AO:thumbs:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the car being under one of those 3 month warranty plans from the little garage I bought it from, I rang up again, explained the noise and the fact in 5th gear under load on the motorway I'm starting to get a tiny bit of clutch slip on occasions, the dealer has given me another courtesy car and has booked a mobile alfa mechanic to do all the work now to get it all nipped in the bud, was quite impressed when I dropped the Alfa off yesterday and there was a new clutch sitting there waiting to go in! No arguing or trying to wrangle out of it, normally those cheapo warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on but this garage seems to getting everything done for me no questions asked!

Happy days! Will let you know what they say about the suspension.

Pete

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Hi, welcome to AO :)

I drive the same car as you and I love the power it has.

However, it's cost me loads since I've had it (3 months) as I've paid for it's cambelt, waterpump and tensioners, a new bumper as it slipped on black ice, and now have a whistling noise which will cost me more than my cambelt etc to put right :eek:

I am in dispute with the garage I bought it from regarding the last point

Having said all this I love the car and searched the country looking for one at the right spec+price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, welcome to AO :)

I drive the same car as you and I love the power it has.

However, it's cost me loads since I've had it (3 months) as I've paid for it's cambelt, waterpump and tensioners, a new bumper as it slipped on black ice, and now have a whistling noise which will cost me more than my cambelt etc to put right :eek:

I am in dispute with the garage I bought it from regarding the last point

Having said all this I love the car and searched the country looking for one at the right spec+price.
Hi divadiva,

Sorry to hear about the probs you've had with your car - may I ask how much you paid for yours? I paid £3995 for a 53 plate with 77k on the clock from the independent dealer, cloth trim.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I picked up the Alfa once more from the dealer, I have to say i'm yet again most impressed, all the following work has been carried out under the 3 month dealer warranty with no quibbles and a courtesy car:

S/F New Clutch kit & release bearing
S/F new n/s/f and o/s/f Top arms
S/F new antiroll bar
S/F new n/s/f and o/s/f antiroll bar link bars and new nuts

They also removed and tightened connections under both seats for the airbag light.

The 147 now drives perfectly, no noise at all and the new clutch is a joy - re-booked with Performance Torque now to get it remapped.

Just goes to show, some of these small garages really do come up trumps when things go wrong!:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Glad it worked out and you now have a peach, enjoy her :thumbs:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts