Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post so go easy on me :)

I've been having issues with the clutch on my '04 147 1.9JTD where the clutch pedal has been gradually getting softer and making gear changes harder, especially on cold mornings.

I've assumed this could be a seal somewhere but for the time being I've been getting by with just bleeding the clutch slightly. Today I went to bleed it 'properly' but I've ended up making it worse, the pedal now goes straight to the floor and sticks there, no clutch at all!

I know people mention using a Gunison's Ezibleed but I was just using a one way valve attached to the bleed nipple. The fluid was still coming out and was clearer than when I started with no air bubbles. I kept the resevoir topped up the whole time.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong or what I could do to get it going again?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Your master cylinder could be on the way out, displayed similar symptoms to mine.

Check under the gearbox bellhousing as any fluid from there is the salve cylinder, which is a "gearbox off" job to replace.

Regarding the slack clutch, you might be unlucky enough to have the clutch retaining pin snap, this is a common fault and there has been a recall.

Check under the dashboard, you will be able to see the clutch pedal and the pushrod which activates the clutch, this may not be connected, but if it is, check for any signs of fluid.

If it is the case, a new master cylinder is about £45 and can be fitted at home if you're a bit handy with the tools

Bleeding the clutch is relatively simple, I have an eezi-bleed, but didn't have the relevant reservoir adapter.

You need to have someone press the clutch once you pull the hose out, then push it back in before lifting the pedal, some people mention the method of letting gravity do the job, it worked for me, but not wanting to open a can of worms on this... Again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I'll nip out now and have a look for the pin.

I think my clutch hydraulics are slightly different with my car being a diesel and the slave cylinder is on the outside just under the battery but having said that do you know where the master cylinder is located? Is it against the bulkhead?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts