Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
147 JTD, car won't start up and "Immobilizer" shows up when lights are left on

For example, if my car stalls, which happens a lot lately because of the clutch, I guess. The car vibrates quite a bit on startup and stalls if I don't give it enough gas, quite more than I'm used to, but that's not the point. If the car stalls, I have to turn the lights off and try to start it otherwise it won't start at all until I take the key out, turn the lights off and start again. It shows me the "immobilizer active" or whatever on the dash, with a key icon. It's more of a nuisance than anything else. Wanted to get a new key made, since my remote functions don't work either, but I did not receive the code card. Currently figuring out if I should pay someone to de-code it or go straight to Alfa.

Do you think a new key will solve this Immobilizer problem? The car isn't stolen, or anything. The engine number and the chassis number are all according to the papers.

D

·
0 Posts
I know it sounds daft but ..

id clean the Map sensor 1st cuz i bet you've never cleaned it and it gets blocked causing it not to start, The engine reads the map, maf and egr to regulate the car and if 1's blocked or not working then ecu over compensates and either over fuels ect ect and the car wont run right, Ive bought 2 alfa's both of which the seller has said it wont start and a quick clean of the Map sensor and they've started straight away for me ..
Now, im no expert in Alfa's or cars but if you have to turn the lights off for it to turn over then the battery is knackered, Having said that ive recently read where Alfa's have draws on their batteries so could that be happening here ?
But tomorrow as for peace of mind have a look at the map sensor in the inlet manifold and see how clean it is ..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it sounds daft but ..

id clean the Map sensor 1st cuz i bet you've never cleaned it and it gets blocked causing it not to start, The engine reads the map, maf and egr to regulate the car and if 1's blocked or not working then ecu over compensates and either over fuels ect ect and the car wont run right, Ive bought 2 alfa's both of which the seller has said it wont start and a quick clean of the Map sensor and they've started straight away for me ..
Now, im no expert in Alfa's or cars but if you have to turn the lights off for it to turn over then the battery is knackered, Having said that ive recently read where Alfa's have draws on their batteries so could that be happening here ?
But tomorrow as for peace of mind have a look at the map sensor in the inlet manifold and see how clean it is ..
It starts perfectly fine with the stereo on, air conditioning and sometimes starts fine even with the lights on*. However, in majority of cases, it won't start if the lights are on. I doubt it's a battery problem, but hey, I've no clue honestly.

Do I need any special tools to check the map sensor? I got my license 2 years ago and have never changed anything other than the air filter on my car. I'm a noob for these things.

Also, when the immobilizer pops up it's trying to start but it can't, it's not like there's no power at all.

Car starts fine every single time when the lights are off.

D

·
0 Posts
the map sensor sits in the back of the inlet manifold and held in by a torx bolt , they gather all the soot and oil debris and block so not giving the ecu the proper signal so affectivly it's throttling the engine so cleaning from time to time is for me basic maintenance and it will run properly.
Hard starting when hot is signs of a failing Crank position sensor but that's when trying to start once it's been turned off not stalling like yours, so ..
Hmm .. not sure ..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the map sensor sits in the back of the inlet manifold and held in by a torx bolt , they gather all the soot and oil debris and block so not giving the ecu the proper signal so affectivly it's throttling the engine so cleaning from time to time is for me basic maintenance and it will run properly.
Hard starting when hot is signs of a failing Crank position sensor but that's when trying to start once it's been turned off not stalling like yours, so ..
Hmm .. not sure ..
Did some research and apparently I have all the tools I need, except for that "carburetor spray", should be easy to find. What do you clean it with? Will look for some pictures tomorrow if I can't figure out where it is.

Also, now that you mention it, I have been to diagnostics not long ago, and the guy told me that my crankshaft sensor should be replaced and it's not expensive, about 35€. It does have issues starting when it's been turned off but that happens almost never for me, and happens sometimes when my dad drives my car. I always figured that he lets go of the key before the car starts up completely, but maybe it's not entirely his fault. I'll get that replaced soon. Can it cause any damage if not replaced for some time? Because that has been going for a few months now, but it doesn't bother me because it never happens when I'm driving. Also, if it does, giving it gas usually starts it up fine.

Thanks for the help.

D

·
0 Posts
Ive a brand new 1 i bought by mistake ..
I think it will just pack up over time but how long that is i'm not sure but id just clean the sensor for now, it's all a matter of elimination and if the sensors are clean you can rule those out
Anyway cleaning the map sensor i use petrol and a toothbrush, many people say it should be carb cleaner but ive never had a problem so it's up to you

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive a brand new 1 i bought by mistake ..
I think it will just pack up over time but how long that is i'm not sure but id just clean the sensor for now, it's all a matter of elimination and if the sensors are clean you can rule those out
Anyway cleaning the map sensor i use petrol and a toothbrush, many people say it should be carb cleaner but ive never had a problem so it's up to you
I'd gladly get it off your hands, but I'm in Bosnia, we're probably pretty far away. I'll try to do it tomorrow if I can find the time, I'll see if I can't find the carb cleaner. If not, I'll use petrol. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts