Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! my car has 64.000 miles on when should I change my timing belt? and how much you reckon it should be a fair labor price? thanks you :)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The cambelt needs changing at 72,000 miles or 5 years whichever's the soonest. Expect to pay around £300.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The cambelt needs changing at 72,000 miles or 5 years whichever's the soonest. Expect to pay around £300.
That is the official figure, however I've been STRONGLY recommended to get mine done at 60k intervals ... (I'm pretty sure that others on the forum have been told the same thing)

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Change the waterpump too, this is essential! These waterpumps are starting to seize, snapping the cambelts that drive them.. :eek:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Change the waterpump too, this is essential! These waterpumps are starting to seize, snapping the cambelts that drive them.. :eek:
You've got me worried now ... think I'll go and check when/if my car has had a new one ...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GOD sake! I'm worried too... how much should cost me the waterpump then? and how often should I change that?
P.S.
I love my car...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I've checked my documents and my car is still on it's first water pump at 103000 miles, my cambelt is due in 130000 so I'll wait until then :thumbs: ... tbh the general failure of water pumps is that the impellers fail, this means that it stops pumping water and therefore the car overheats as long as you stop quick enough this won't do any damage ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Oh yeah and getting your water pump done at the same time as a cambelt is pretty cheap (I think it adds about £50 to the price)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
From what I've read on here, I think it's the four cylinders that have the water pump problem, it seizes and takes the cambelt with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
cambelt tensioners , waterpump , every 3 years or 36,000 miles to be on the safe side about £300 should cover it with some loose change in your pocket

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
cambelt tensioners , waterpump , every 3 years or 36,000 miles to be on the safe side about £300 should cover it with some loose change in your pocket
That is for petrol versions ... diesel it is still safe to get them changed at 72k (although 60k is recommended) ... it's probably due to the fact that diesels rev alot slower than petrols and therefore doesn't put as much tension on the belts ... or sumint

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
What do you mean? How many cylinders have my 147 JTD 1.9 53reg? I'm pretty sure that sound like a 4 cylinders.
Yes yours does have 4 .. luckily mine has 5 :p ... I personally haven't heard of water pumps seizing (and I've been on here virtually every day for the past 6 months!!!) ... put pud237 has been around the block a few times!!! :)D) ... as your's is pretty much due a cambelt NOW, you might as well just get it done, I would expect cambelt + waterpump to be about £350 (that's how much my mechanic changes anyway)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
What do you mean? How many cylinders have my 147 JTD 1.9 53reg? I'm pretty sure that sound like a 4 cylinders.
Sorry, I was referring to the fact that Chris has a five cylinder, so isn't as likely to suffer the same problem.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Yes yours does have 4 .. luckily mine has 5 :p ... I personally haven't heard of water pumps seizing (and I've been on here virtually every day for the past 6 months!!!)
Search "JTD belt fail" and there's a few. This is the first of them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Mate!!

Got my Alfa 4 weeks ago 67.000 miles but got the cam belt changed to be safe £200 all in.

I would say change water pump for sure because mine died.
The pump froze took the new belt to shreds also my valves cost a lot more than a £40 pump i can tell you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MMM! I will got and get those parts tomorrow... so far I will have to buy
: tensioners waterpump cambelt anything else to add up to my shopping list? cheers.
I will change the oil too has it wont hurt anyway (even if it has been done by the previous owner in july) I'm thinking of castrol as I would do 3k miles in and 3k miles back during xmas time as I have to go to see my family in italy... any one wants anything? ;)

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
You've got me worried now ... think I'll go and check when/if my car has had a new one ...
Sorry, I should have been more clear, the 16v and 20v JTD engines share the same waterpump, in every JTD 16v cambelt failure I've read on this forum, the cause has always been seized waterpump, not a failed tensioner like on the TS/V6 engines that have had belts snap.

The 10v and 8v JTD engines use a different waterpump and there haven't been any seizures with these on here that I've known about, so changing it with every belt would be excessive. Changing it at the second belt change might be a good idea, just to be on the safe side. Or it could be taken out, inspected and re-fitted if it is OK.

I've checked my documents and my car is still on it's first water pump at 103000 miles, my cambelt is due in 130000 so I'll wait until then :thumbs: ... tbh the general failure of water pumps is that the impellers fail, this means that it stops pumping water and therefore the car overheats as long as you stop quick enough this won't do any damage ...
The failed impellor issue you mention is only for the waterpumps for the 2.5 V6, 3.2 V6 and 3.0 V6 (excluding the GTV), the impellors in these were plastic and can crack, generally the symptom was that the car overheats on the motorway but not when driving with low revs. The solution was to fit the waterpump from the GTV 3.0 V6 which had a metal impellor instead of a plastic one. Considering its a cambelt off job its not something you want to risk happening, so the advice is to fit the GTV 3.0 V6 waterpump to all 24v V6 engines at cambelt time.

From what I've read on here, I think it's the four cylinders that have the water pump problem, it seizes and takes the cambelt with it.
I've not heard of it happen to a 20v, but the 16v engines are a lot more common. They share the same waterpump part number though so I suppose the chances are just as high..

but pud237 has been around the block a few times!!! :)D) ... as your's is pretty much due a cambelt NOW, you might as well just get it done, I would expect cambelt + waterpump to be about £350 (that's how much my mechanic changes anyway)
Cheeky! :lol:

Yeah, I'd replace the waterpump if I had a 16v or 20v JTD and was changing the belts.. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
So you're saying that there isn't much point in changing the water pump on my JTD ... but to be honest it's only another £50 on top of the cambelt as I'm going to get it done when the time is right anyway :thumbs:

I have to be honest I'm not convinced that my water pump is working that well anyway, when I really put my foot down (accelerating hard from about 30 to (cough cough) 120 the temperature rises to about 92deg, thereas normally it just sits at 87deg ... I know that is all within spec but it still gets me worried ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts