Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Our 16v has been getting progressively less powerful.
The symptoms are bear.y any power up to about 2500rpm to some power after..fine for motorway speeds just bit slow getting there.
No errors on the dash etc

I have had the car in pieces today and unplugged the maf sensor( I assume its the maf just in front of the gearbox under battery tray)
The car started but bumbled to a halt a few seconds after. After three attempts the car held its own and idled fine. No dash errors still. I then drove the car with maf unplugged and was alittle more powerful under 2k but wouldnt provide any power at all after that. Just revved up with no power.
I have removed the egr and soaking it ATM, the pin springs back absolutely fine so I guess I shouldn't need to dismantle? Is there a way to test the solenoid? Also there was no square gasket? Would that be any problem?

Past this I'm unsure where to go? I am awaiting a code reader from eBay.

I have checked the the turbo top hose and just need to check the lower tomorrow. Difficult with the under tray on.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
223 Posts
If the solenoid had stopped working in the 'off' position, don't think it would cause much of a problem. If the solenoid coil had gone, you'd get a MCSF error on dash. What have you checked on the EGR? Really need to remove 4 torx bolts and split it for a good look. Small pin on solenoid half should be free and lightly sprung. Spring-loaded valve in other half should move freely. Bottom turbo hose went on my other half's: huge amounts of noise so if you can't hear anything, probably not that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have split the egr and the pin is free. Pushes in and springs back fine. The other side is fine also from what I have read from here.
There is a little noise but will have a scout tomorrow anyhow. I have read aliitle about vacuum hoses but can see in these in engine bay?

There has always been some smoke. I am hoping a split hose somewhere.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.
I have refitted the egr and connected the maf back up. More power for sure but still very weak under 2500 rpm.

Guess next step is get underhand change the vacuum pipes and lower hose. I will do these as a matter of maintenance I think.
Will keep posted

·
Registered
27 Posts
You normally get the engine light on if the vac pipes are split and thick black smoke if the turbo pipes are. The valves sometimes cause problems due to them getting the weather at the bottom of the air box. I would be 100% on the egr and air flow metre. You can see the turbo waist gate from the top so get someone to rev the engine while you look to see if the rod moves.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did have alot of black smoke but mostly settled now.

I have bought a bluetooth odb reader and linked with torque pro.
No errors found unfortunately.

Appears to be worse in this hot weather for sure.

These are the readings from torque pro.. unfortunately its seems it couldn't read intake or water temps.

Does this look correct?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little update, the maf has been cleaned and restored power 2000 rpm onwards. She flies along again but still dead upto 2k.

I am thinking it maybe a faulty egr. Rather than buying a replacement could i simply block it to test? I assume it isnt functioning despite being free to move.

As soon as this is fully resolved i will be looking at removing the cat's i think and remap along with fresh belts and water pump.

·
Registered
791 Posts
What year is your car?
Those Torque readings look like mine. It does not support diesels until at least 2004.

Have you cleaned the MAP sensor? Its located on the manifold in the middle rear face.
Its probably full of gunk. Use carb cleaner on that.

I've got a similar problem at the moment, which is improving with every job i do.
I've cleaned MAP, EGR, replaced the vacuum hose from turbo to VNT solenoid and next job is MAF in a few days.

I've also fitted the official type of plate in the EGR. This is the one i bought. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-BLANKING-PLATE-ALFA-ROMEO-1-9-JTD-16V-2-4-JTD-147-156-159-166-NEW-/130740467090

Its an official alfa mod to improve egr etc

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the same car and symptoms as you.
Plus: during the first few kilometers (miles in your case :), the engine stumbles heavily if demanded in high gears. If you reduce to a lower gear you can accelerate and after that the problem tends to disappear, but still dead engine below 2700rpm or so.

I connected Fiat MultiEcuScan and logged "desired turbo boost" vs "boost pressure", accelerating in a single gear from >1Krpm to around 4500rpm. The measured boost value was clearly below the required value, slowly approaching above 2500rpm or so (but still below the desired value). This doesn't happen in my 159 with almost the same 1.9 16v JTDm engine: from 1900rpm or so the desired and actual values are quite close to each other. So I have a boost problem in the 147: either bad turbo, or stuck vanes or vacuum pipes / control valve.

Will give the MAF a good clean, too. Let's see what happens. Please let's keep each other updated.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have the same car and symptoms as you.
Plus: during the first few kilometers (miles in your case :), the engine stumbles heavily if demanded in high gears. If you reduce to a lower gear you can accelerate and after that the problem tends to disappear, but still dead engine below 2700rpm or so.

I connected Fiat MultiEcuScan and logged "desired turbo boost" vs "boost pressure", accelerating in a single gear from >1Krpm to around 4500rpm. The measured boost value was clearly below the required value, slowly approaching above 2500rpm or so (but still below the desired value). This doesn't happen in my 159 with almost the same 1.9 16v JTDm engine: from 1900rpm or so the desired and actual values are quite close to each other. So I have a boost problem in the 147: either bad turbo, or stuck vanes or vacuum pipes / control valve.

Will give the MAF a good clean, too. Let's see what happens. Please let's keep each other updated.
I would check your egr first :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My is a 2003. Probably why the reading look a little odd then. Will try cleaning the map and fitting the plate, never had these issues with the 8v in my stilo.

Our is a high miler tho at 170k.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tanks the mad cleaned has made a huge difference to ours generally. So much more power after 2k and fuel economy restored.our started to have dreadfully fuel economy. Just below 2k to sort now, I have now received a full blank plate and report back.
I appreciate your replies guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still huge loss of power.
Went back to how it was. I have replaced the maf with new, cleaned the map sensor, egr is blanked off. No further error codes read in multiecuscan. Not split hoses that I can see.
I do need to fit a new cam sensor as well.

Losing patience with this. Where do I go now?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts