Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Ive just purchased my first alfa! And i loved it, until i was driving home tonight and "motor control system failure" popped up in front of me. Followed by a short stint in limp mode and finally
coming to a halt.. And now it won't start! It just cranks over on the key. Before this it would start on the button 1st time every time hot or cold. Battery is fine and reading fine etc and not had any other warnings or problems with it. I've read about the egr being stuck and causing this sort of problem. Before i put it in the workshop and leave it to rot, has anyone got any suggestions given the little information I've given you? I've left it at the side of the road for tonight as I've got work early but will return to it tomorrow to try and fix the issue. Ta.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Sounds like crank sensor to me. Loads of posts regarding the blighter.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gunna plug it in after work today and ordered a new crank sensor just incase but just been back to it after 12+ hours and it still wont fire up but continues to turn over. Am i right in thinking that knackered CS would stop injectors opening etc?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yes, nothing will induce it to start without a crank signal.

Does the electric fuel pump in the tank run for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on? You ought to be able to hear it if there isn’t too much ambient noise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i can hear the pump prime etc but id lile to think the pump would show some symptoms of giving up before it actually does? Will change crank sensor and see what diffence that makes. It showed no symptoms before cutting out and not starting, it just happened and had no response on throttle until it just stopped. This is my first alfa so still learning..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you try and start it does it sound the same as it use to or does it sound like its turning over a bit faster?
Tbh it sounds like its turning over a bit fast.. Before this itd start instantly without any hesitation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check timing belt aswell incase that has broke/jumped teeth.
Will double check that but looked okay last night but it was stuck at the side of the road in the dark. Heading to the car now armed with a code reader and a new CS! Fingers crossed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update.. CS replaced, still not starting. First 2-3 secs of cranking sounds promising but then just turns over quickly. Timing belt is fine and not jumped at all. Fuel getting to the right places etc but still nothing! Im pulling my hair out with this!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Can your reader do live data to check engine rpm when cranking and fuel pressure?
Could also be cam sensor as if that’s not registering it won’t fire.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Update.. CS replaced, still not starting. First 2-3 secs of cranking sounds promising but then just turns over quickly. Timing belt is fine and not jumped at all.
Just to check: you took the top cam belt cover off? Because the only belt you can see without doing so is the auxiliary belt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had top cambelt cover off yes, everything appears to be fine. Code reader wont read anything on the ecu what so ever. It connects to the car etc but doesn't read anything no matter what you do. Im gunna go to the auto electrician and see if he can test the ecu for me

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Its tending to point towards stripped teeth on the belt I'm feeling, especially if it doesn't sound the same when its trying to start.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Update.. CS replaced, still not starting. First 2-3 secs of cranking sounds promising but then just turns over quickly. Timing belt is fine and not jumped at all. Fuel getting to the right places etc but still nothing! Im pulling my hair out with this!
You would have noticed the new CS came with an 'O' ring, did the old ring come out with the old sensor?

If it didn't you now have 2 'O' rings and the CS isn't inserting far enough to do its thing.

Pub

1 - 20 of 81 Posts