Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the 147 a little over a week now. June 05 model and with 38k on the clock she drives great and I'm very impressed. Economy is great (1st venture into diesel land!) and quick too! I am however getting a little nervous reading some of the threads on here. Am I vulnerable to the dreaded water pump failure? Dare I run her to 50k and then get all the belts and pump done? I wasn't expecting to be splashing wads of cash so soon!

I have also had 1 or 2 other little niggles. Yesterday it was icy and got the usual warnings but A?C was unavailable. Is this normal? When the ice warning cleared on temp got above 6 deg as advertised in the handbook the A?C was available again!

I also had the flashing odometer/mileometer reported elsewhere on this forum today but it too has cleared now.

I have also found that the electric window controls behave oddly - with rear selection button engaged the fronts still work and rears don't move! When the button to inhibit the rears is engaged the rears work from the front switches but the left operates the right and vice versa!

Arrrrrrrgh. What have I let myself in for!!!!!

Wish I'd have known about this forum before I took the plunge!!!

Any advice greatly appreciated etc.

Happy Motoring.

·
Registered
94 Posts
PauloT,
Similar situation here, I bought a GT JTD a month ago, like it very much but some of the posts here are a bit worrying!

At the moment my thinking is - my car is great, there are some niggles, this forum is brilliant at telling me which are normal and which need attention, and some of the niggles turn out to be 'working as designed', just not as I expected, but that's no surprise if it's your first car from any brand.

On the 'big one' - the JTD waterpump/cambelt problem - the first thread in the forum contains good advice. My car like yours is 2005 and on 37000 miles. Now I paid a highish dealer price and got a year's warranty so I am not too worried, but when it reaches 5 years old late in the year then I will have the big service with the cambelt and waterpump change. If I was not on a warranty I think I would bring the belt change forward. Suggest you consider what warranty you have if any and how much risk to take. The Alfa change interval is 72000 miles (you're nowhere near it of course) or 5 years, which you are close to, and TBH both thresholds need to be taken note of, from others' experience. If your car is 5 years old now and you bought from a dealer then the belt should have been done already and if not you have an argument for getting them to do it as the service manual does specify it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
simesgt,

Thanks for the info. I'm worried enough to get the job done it's just a question of how much!!! I got the car from a small out of town garage and it has a 3 month warranty. Maybe I was a little rash and should of done some more research but I fell in love with the car the moment I saw and drove it and I thought the price was good. I'm sure all will be well so long as I get the work done for some peace of mind and go on to enjoy many more miles of motoring in her.

PauloT

·
Registered
729 Posts
if i had a jtd, id always change it at 50,000mls just to be safe, its what i advise my customers aswell, never had a problem with working on this interval, anything else is taking a risk imho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts