Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey

So, I introduced myself, and my car, a 147 JTD 16v.

Having now owned it for 3 months, including 1 medium drive and one long one (CT to ceres and back and CT to grahamstown and back)

I love it. The suspension is still firm, just like the old one, but it seems to grip more, even though the set of tyres I have are on the way out. The engine is willing, maybe a bit flat below 2000rpm, before the turbo kicks in, but over 2500rpm it pulls like a train in any gear,

On uphills it sticks in top at over 170kph. The torque is great.

I simply, love it. I'm sure, not having a petrol engine will anger some of the proper proper purists, and, in truth, I was sad myself at not getting another T Spark. But, having had it and driven it it's great.

Being practical I can get under 7.5l/100km and can still give it serious stick and get below 11l/100km. The handling is a teeny, tiny bit more sluggish than the old one, probably due to the extra weight upfront from the bigger engine.

But over all. It's a great car.

Now to make it better.

I stated my intent on the modification thread my current plans, restated here they are:

1. Change out 16' spoked type standard rim for teledial 17'(one with 3 circles)
2. Change brakes for something bigger, better, more stylish.
3. Remap/Chip tuning.
4. Bigger intercooler?

As you can see I currently have the 16 inch rim. Meaning pricey tyres and less presence, Not to mention the fact that the 3 circle teledial is unbelievably hot.

As I said there, this is a slow work in progress. I am a student and this is an expensive car to maintain, let alone uprate. So this will be a gradual change over the next 2 years into the car I want it to be.

My final vision is something in these lines:

Similar drive to the current one, just a bit firmer, and grippier. So maybe some kind of aftermarket suspension in the future, suspension from a GTA?

Engine doing around 150kw. The stock output is 110kw. If I could get it reliably, drivabley and still maintain "reasonable" economy the 200BHP mark is the goal. Enough to show a Golf V GTI a pair of clean heels :)

Brakes as solid as rock. The current set is very good. My preference would be the ones out a Brera, a GT or a GTA model.

Basically I think with the teledial rim the brakes need to look as good as the car. I'm not a huge aftermarket fan and would way, way rather have a set that says Alfa Romeo, than one that says Brembo or AP Racing or whatever. So a stock set of brakes from an upper end car would be sweet. That would be calipers and discs.

Possibly change up the stereo. Although I've read enough and seen enough pics to know that the aftermarket radios look like a dogs breakfast. I have the changer in the back and to maybe change that for another blaupunkt model, just with MP3 recognition. Maybe change up the speakers too, but keep it stock looking, nothing drastic, nothing that is visible as a change.

Finally maybe changing the gearknob for something akin to the style of a Ferrari F355 style one. It looks like it's been milled from a solid block of aluminium. And also some nicer pedals, dlilled aluminium style ones down there too.

So. The wheels are the first, that will be in the next couple of weeks.

Then it'll be a while, i'm hoping to use this thread to discuss what, and where to do these mods.

Oh, and if anybody knows where I can get that gearknob and the pedals, a scrap yard maybe?

That would be fab.

Thanks

T

Edit

Here are two pics so you can get an idea of what I mean

A
http://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/images/models/alfa_gt_interior.jpg

B
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1XknPAfZh...Kv680dCI/s400/2003+Alfa+Romeo+GT+interior.jpg

A is the same knob I have at the moment (excuse the pun) but the pedals are the kind I want

B is the kind of knob I want to upgrade to (again)

http://www.m-99.co.uk/Mod_chip_mk2a.jpg

here is a f355 knob. thats the kind of thing I like. The raw aluminium look of it is awesome.

·
Registered
846 Posts
stay away from the f355 gearknob, that belongs in a ferrari :p

I like you future mods, very subtle yet will make a huge difference....one thing though, goodluck on finding the 17' teledials bro, chicken teeth are even more popular than those rims...

when you the diesel is expensive to maintain, what do you mean by that bro?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol.

The rims... a cousin has a set, he's saving them for me. My lucky day. I emailed the guy (I think he's from this forum, rush?) and he tells me, sorry sold that set. I was thinking ****!!! So, a day later my cousin sms's me... with a picture of the rims. Lol.

Yeah, I don't mean the actual F355 knob, just that style, like the other GT picture I had there.

But yeah, I don't like the over the top stuff, simple, in the end, the italians know a heck of a lot more about vehicle styling than me!!! I just wanna personalize here and there.

I don't mean the diesel is more or less expensive to maintain.

I'd venture it's cheaper over all to service, no spark plugs...

But if there is a major failure... ie turbo damage. I'm guessing the bills will be beyond stratospheric!

Later.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
A is the same knob I have at the moment (excuse the pun) but the pedals are the kind I want

B is the kind of knob I want to upgrade to (again)
:lol: As long as you not talking about size its OK.

Welcome dude, good to see some representation for the diesel.

I kinda like those wheels you talking about, the brakes you could always get a Powerbrake upgrade. Its basically a change of disc's and pads to a more 'racing' style disc (Grooved and vented)

Alot of people on here, myself including has bought there stuff and its pretty good and really well priced.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I know what you mean. But that means a complete caliper change I would imagine. That could get rather costly...

I guess the brakes off a GTA should be a straight fit...?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, will be very, very expensive to do with GTA parts all round...

But, like I said, this is a long term vision.

I've had the car long enough to know I'm going to keep it a good while, so. I'm happy to plough some dough into the machine. And if I do the engine map then it's going to need some more stopping grunt.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
supersport wheels are the muts nuts:D

·
Registered
7,640 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Hi mate, I believe with a diesel 200bhp is highly attainable...just check to tuning forums on here...

I answered on your future mods on the future mods thread...cheers bru!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
call power brake and get a set of pads and disks from them... you might come in cheaper than the 4 pots and trust me you will feel it

Brake discs, rotors, pads & kits for street/race use by Powerbrake
I'm with Hygrade on this. I've had the Powerbrake system for about two years now. I have and will continue to highly recommend them.

I upgraded the front discs to the grooved and vented ones and some good pads as well. I paid like R2400 with shipment to KZN.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey. Yeah, 2400 for pads and disks is alright.

But, I'd like a big brake kit. You see, I reckon the disk looks too small when it's sitting in a 17" rim. And as I said, the caliper should, preferably, be as much like the GTA style as possible... But I will email them.

I will look around for a few hints on engine tuning a JTD.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
LOL if its Brembo's you want, Autostyle sells Brembo Caliper clip ons...universal nogal, makes your dull brake look like a 4 pot BREMBO in minutes!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
lol they are REELY KUK!

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
hahahahhaah brembo wanna be covers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, sorry for the away time, and the lack of pics! Just been super busy with registration and the heavy first week of lectures. This weekend I'll make a moment to take some pics.

Hopefully I can get wheels and tires sorted and have some before and after pics... Then it'll be onto the more serious upgrades.

Later.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks it's silly to plan mods like that on that car. You'd do better to save that money you are likely to spend and put it towards buying a proper GTA in two years time.

The Alfa big brake calipers, hubs, disks and associated pads will set you back a couple of thousand bucks (lest conservatively say R8000, wheels tyres and suspension around R13 000 (conservative estimate again). You will just need to lift the cover around the gear stick to realise that it's going to take a lot of fabrication (and money) to get a Ferrari-style gaiter on your car.

A fast diesel will never compare with a nice NA petrol V6. So if mods are your thing, I would say buy those black 17's for sale on this forum (R6000), get a decent suspension kit from Koni or Eibach (R5-6000) and just put some standard-fitting cross drilled racing discs and pads on from AK Components on (R2500) and you will have a more than capable car. Of course, I would still recommend keeping it stock and plouging the money you've saves into a six-cylinder GTA/GT/GTV.

Welcome though and have fun on this board.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I'm ALL FOR modifying...the truth of the matter is I cannot drive in a standard car, even if I were to get a 147 GTA I'll still have it on coilovers with some 19's and typhoon intake and serious exhaust plus chip....and some cosmetic mods like laminex and off course...spacers!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, wow.

Sorry for the huge delay in actually getting pictures etc up here... but I did promise and here they are

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=19092&catid=member&imageuser=72289

- With a 17" on for size...

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=19091&catid=member&imageuser=72289

- Somewhere in claremont

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=19088&catid=member&imageuser=72289

- Near camps bay (JHB boys eat your hearts out! :lol:)

The 17 looked good but it seemed a bit high, as though it needed maybe 10mm worth of drop.

Also tyres are hideously expensive, all they had in stock were p-zero rosso's, 1200 per tyre!!! (225 - 45 - R17)

They man at the tyre shop said that I should not try to use 205 - 40 - R17's (you can get p7000's for around 700 for these)

His claim was that there would be a reduction in rolling diameter compared to what I currently have and this would mean I constantly over-rev and increase wear.

I'm no car genius, but I do study mech eng and my first thought was BS.

I mean I did a quick calc I have standard size wheels and tires right now, 16 inch with 55 profile, thats a total diameter of 55 + 55 + 16*25.4 = 516.4mm

A 17 inch wheel with 40 profile tyres:

40 + 40 + 17*25.4 = 511.8mm

Thats a change of 4.6mm in diamter, in rolling circumference the change is 14.45mm. So for each rotation I lose a cm and a half....

Increased wear?!?!?! How?

Am i missing something or are my guessworks right? Anyway, the official listed tyre size for the 17 inch wheel is a 45 profile with 215 width.

If I could do the wheel with a smaller tyre i can afford it... If it's not do-able then... well then it's not do-able!

Laters.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts