Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am attempting a cam belt change and have got stuck on the removal of the auxiliary belt wheel on the end of the crankshaft.
I have removed the four ribe bolts and attempted to remove the auxilary wheel by levering with a screw driver, the aux wheel has separated into 2 halves and I noticed the 2 alignment dowels have broken.

Q1. Do I need to remove the crankshaft hexagonal bolt as well to get the auxilary wheel off completely (the remaining half) ?
Q2. Have I just broken the auxiliary wheel?
Q3. Are the broken pins on the auxiliary just for rotational alignment?

best regards
Jeff

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
They can be stubborn but removal of the 4 ribe bolts is all that is needed, few taps should see the pulley slide off over the centre bolt.

If the pulley is now in 2 pieces you definitely need a replacement. Have to admit I've no idea what 'pins' your talking about, could you attach a photo?

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
There's only one small dowel that locates the crankshaft damper pulley (and causes it to not want to come off), so I think you're looking at some bit of the innards now it's fallen apart. As pubsinger says, once you've undone the 4 ribe bolts there's nothing holding it on except rust. And no, don't try and remove the crank pulley for the cambelt. The bolt is supernaturally tight, and it won't help anyway - even if you can get it off, you'll still have to separate the remains of the damper pulley just the same as now on the car. A bit of violence with a drift and Plusgas should do it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If you look at the flange of the new pulley you'll see the hole where the single dowel locates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts