Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My niece is soon to turn 17 and wants her own car. I am thinking of getting a new car soon so I did wonder about giving her my lovingly maintained 5-year-old 147 (1.6 Lusso).

This may be a silly idea as the insurance costs (group 12) could be megabucks. Might it be better to make her a named driver on her mum's policy... ?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
You may be able to lease a common car with insurance included, which comes out cheaper than just the insurance on the same car would be.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
got a 2.0 145, it was cheaper to go out and buy a 1.2 Bravo and insure it than add my daughter to the 145 insurance if thats a guide

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I would get her own policy (better in the long run whilst she builds a NCB) and add her mum and dad as the named drivers as that will help drop the quote a lot. On the Elephant website it is really easy to do this.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don think it will be much lower on a slower or less engine, or older car tbh mate.
I'll get her a GTA then :thumbs:

But seriously folks, thanks for all your help. AlfaJack's suggestion looks best to me (and I saw other web sites saying similar). I also saw one that suggested if the young person phones up themselves they get a lower quote. So I'll get my niece to ring for some quotes - on a 147 and a low insurance group alternative (would have to be something with at least a little chic).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get her on direct line, on one of her parents policy.

I've been driving for a year, and my first car is the same as the one you are going to get her. I was 20 years 4months old when I got it.

Basically, my first insurance a year was £1400 with budget direct, on my dads. That was fully comp, no claims protection, legal protection etc.

I've just got a new quote with direct line on my 'dads' policy, and its £860 a year, and I get to build up my no claims.

So I'd reccomend one of them. Confused.com is crap, its only the big companies that pay for that site.

Its still quite risky getting a 17 year old girl insured on it though. The only thing going for her is the fact shes a girl.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts